What's new

$1 Token Conversion from quarters

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have my new $1 tokens, and have some acceptors taking them . I have always sold tokens in bulk to business,but the old tokens were valued at a quarter--now planning to only give them out in the changers. Customers can bring in their own quarters and use them, But was wondering if anyone has much for customers complaining about the dispensing of tokens, or any other thoughts. I love the way i can wash a bay with 2 coins.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No complaints and I only vend big, $1 tokens.

I had complaints before taking quarters and tokens in bays etc (was tokens only). Quite a few, actually.

Thanks to a few smart carwash friends, I switched and couldn't be happier. Thanks guys!:)

washnvac

Reaction score
I have been vending $1 high security tokens since year 2000. I even dispense tokens as change in my auto cashiers. No quarters are dispensed on site. Plenty of signage indicating such= no problems.

Randy

Reaction score
In 1985 we started converting over to $1 tokens. One of the nice things about tokens is the customers will loose them, never to be used. Since 1985 we have lost about 8500 tokens a year at .17 apiece. You do the math, that’s a lot money. We don’t give out any bonus tokens because it doesn’t seem to bring in anymore business. Yes we get complaints now and then. People seem to think that all changers are going to dispense quarters and will put in $20 bill thinking they are going to get quarters, even with a sign on the front of the changer that says “TOKENS”.

washnvac

Reaction score
I agree, Randy. My 4 locations replenish about 12,000 tokens a years with a clear profit of $9720 on the walk away. It is a no brainer, in my opionion. I was thinking about doing bonus tokens, but I think I will not based on your experience.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Our changers dispense $1 tokens only. We accept tokens, quarters, $1 coins, been that way for about 10 years. For the first year or 2 we got a couple complaints (less than 10 total), I dont think we've had any in the last couple years.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Thanks on your thoughts. I am glad to hear they don't complain. I think i may give out a bonus token on the $10 to lure people away from the $1Bill. I thought my biggest complaint with $1 Tokens would be that they can't just drop in a quarter , that it has to be a $1. I know that will be a plus for me.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
fwiw, we give 11 tokens for a 10 $ bill, 23 tokens for a $20.
We get so few 20's and 10's that I say its not worth it. The only reason I dont stop doing it is that I know 1 or 2 of my best customers are the ones giving me most of the 20s, and I'm happy to be giving them a discount. Otherwise I just wouldnt bother.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree, Randy. My 4 locations replenish about 12,000 tokens a years with a clear profit of $9720 on the walk away. It is a no brainer, in my opionion. I was thinking about doing bonus tokens, but I think I will not based on your experience.
Although I can't argue that the walk-offs are another profit center, I think everyone should look at the other side of the coin...or maybe token in this instance. How much money is lost because most customers don't like tokens and just go elsewhere.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, if your wash is clean and all stuff working, fresh paint, people will not mind tokens. You might even put up a sign near the changers that says that you installed the tokens to reduce the vandalism and crime that they would end up paying for.

UGA

6 Bay SS in Ga
Reaction score
I made the switch from dispensing quarters to $1 tokens and had very few complaints. We were having alot of vandalism and break-ins in the preceding months. So, I posted a note on the changer explaining that the change was due to recent vandalism and apologized for the inconvenience. At that time I completely stopped accepting anything but tokens. However, I bought some slugbusters and starting accepting quarters again this week. Hopefully the vandalism doesn't return.