What's new

Air Machine

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I want to build my own air machine. Can someone recommend a timer to use? I think besides that, all I would need is a NC solenoid, pressure regulator, and a mechanical coin acceptor, right?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bubbles,

You can use a KleenRite TIKR402. If you email me, I'll send you the whole part list and costs I have for building mine. But from scratch, I'll be about $500 (plus the compressor, but I assume you already have one for your wash). I already had some spare coin mechs, timers, etc, so it cost me about $300, with the stainless coin box being the most expensive item.

Mine gets used about 3 or 4 times a day so far (only had it in for a couple of months), so no a big money maker, but the customers appreciate mine instead of the frequently busted gas bar unit down the road. Just one more reason to come to my wash!

Big Leo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool idea. It wouldn't take too long to recoup a $500 investment, plus it's a great convenience for customers, as many cars I see need air; especially after Winter here in New England!

What do you charge and how long is a cycle?

Got any photos you could post of yours? Thanks!

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
we drilled a hole in our wall, and ran an air line out, made a sign, free air for customers, they love it! one more reason to come over here to wash rather than the gas station next door, who gets 75 cents for air

bigleo48

Reaction score
we drilled a hole in our wall, and ran an air line out, made a sign, free air for customers, they love it! one more reason to come over here to wash rather than the gas station next door, who gets 75 cents for air
The problem with that is if the line is broken (say in the night) then the compressor runs until it's fixed. So if you want free air, add a momentary switch, a timer and a solenoid...but at that point you're a hundred bucks away from a coin-mech and charging for it.

I charge a quarter for 2 minutes and it's really to cover the maintenance and parts. When people say "it's free at the gas station", I open the door and point to the my huge compressor and say "Does theirs look like their machine?" Doe they have a filter/water separator? I usually get a dull stare and and "OK"

Big Leo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The convenience store/gas station down the street has an air machine; they charge $.50. Places around me all charge for air. Is the electricity to run the compressor free? Is the oil required for regular maintenance free?

I think not.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Good ponit Waxman. As I explain to bucket washers on busy days..."This is a business, I do it to make money to pay my taxes, overhead, etc. Hopefully at the end of it I make money. What you're doing goes against that so you need to change your behavior. Come when it's not busy and you can bucket wash all you want".

Big Leo

MEP001

Reaction score
bigleo48 said:
I charge a quarter for 2 minutes and it's really to cover the maintenance and parts. When people say "it's free at the gas station", I open the door and point to the my huge compressor and say "Does theirs look like their machine?" Doe they have a filter/water separator? I usually get a dull stare and and "OK"
People actually complain about a quarter for air? That's insane.

Pretty much all the air machines at stations here are 75?. The store next to us will give you free air if you just ask them, but I routinely see people come to our changer to get quarters for their air machine. If they didn't have one, I'd definitely put one in.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Bubbles,

You can use a KleenRite TIKR402.
Big Leo
That's a 24 volt timer. That would require a transformer and if it operates a compressor rather than just a solenoid valve, a relay as well.

The paraplate timer is a little cheaper $67.99 than the Kleen rite TIK403, and can handle both 24 V and 110.

I have some old line Fragramatics air machines as well as JE ADAMS units. If they did not come with Paraplates, over the years tey have all been switched over.

I also use the Kleen Rite IM 783 coin mech $23.50

I use only Thomas compressors. They are not cheap but Hold up great with heavy use for 10 plus years.

The hardest and most important part of the machine is the security the casing will provide. As indicated before my air chucks do not hold pressure. Air comes out as soon as the compressor runs. This is much easeir on the small compressor. If you are using your main compressor and just a solenoid valve this is of little concern. In that eventy I wouild suggest that the valve and timer be inside the building and just run wires to the coin Mech in the case outside. That way you can have a really smal unit outside, just big enough for the coin mech and $

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to run the air off my main compressor, so I will just need a NC solenoid and a regulator. I should be able to use the KR timer right, since there won't be a separate compressor?

Etowah

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I had a couple of bucks in a air gage, the rest were a old laurel vendor, old bay timers, old coin mech, old NC solenoid, I didn't worry about a regulator, as only had 100 on the compressor. Didn't make much money but was one more profit center. I used a wire brad hose, so someone couldn't cut it.

JustClean

Reaction score
Good ponit Waxman. As I explain to bucket washers on busy days..."This is a business, I do it to make money to pay my taxes, overhead, etc. Hopefully at the end of it I make money. What you're doing goes against that so you need to change your behavior. Come when it's not busy and you can bucket wash all you want".

Big Leo
I usually ask bucket washers if they take their own food to their restaurant as well...

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore, you'll still need a transformer to use the Kleen-Rite 24V timer. If you go with the Paraplate you can use a 110V solenoid and just plug it straight in. It'll probably cost about the same either way, but it will be simpler and more reliable to not have a transformer.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks MEP! I am going to try and have this up and running by this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to run the air off my main compressor, so I will just need a NC solenoid and a regulator. I should be able to use the KR timer right, since there won't be a separate compressor?
Right. Just use the KR timer, coin mech noted and a 1/4' 110V Normaly closed solenoid. You can use a regulato but it is not really neccessary unless you have a safety concern about the PSI and want to regulate the max. output to say 80 PSI for Bike tires.

mac

Reaction score
Anytime I install an air machine, I like to put up a nice big sign that says, "Try our air, made fresh daily !"

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore, you'll still need a transformer to use the Kleen-Rite 24V timer. If you go with the Paraplate you can use a 110V solenoid and just plug it straight in. It'll probably cost about the same either way, but it will be simpler and more reliable to not have a transformer.
MEP,

Yeah...I figured in most washes, there's a 24V supply somewhere on site, so that's not a big problem...otherwise it's $12 for a transformer. With mine I was going from parts I had laying around. but if I was to produce these on a larger scale, going with 110v for everything and thus keeping costs down would be the way to go.

BigLeo

mac

Reaction score
Big Leo, while keeping all components 110 volt will reduce the overall cost, don't forget about the shock hazard associated with 110 volt. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done the St. Vidas dance working on 110 volt components. Imagine what would happen if a customer got shocked on a wet day filling a tire, and then the attorney finds out the owner built the device. If using the 110 voly pay close attention to grounding.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Using the low voltage in the machine does little to prevent the shoch hazard since you still need to supply the transformer with 110 volts. As with 3 motor vacs and other units like fragrance etc. the 100v to 24 v transformer is still in the machine.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Mac,

Wise words indeed! Mine is 24v with a transformer. As a rule, anything I make that's 110v and can touch the customer is on a GFI circuit.

So I have 110vac into my nema box, in the box is the GFI outlet, the transformer, timer and solenoid. 3 wires traverse the wall into the coin box for the coin mech's 24v and coin switch signal. The box also has an air regulator and a ball valve.

Speaking of lawyers, don't forget the warning signage. Mine says "WARNING! For automobile tires only! Do Not exceed manufacturers recommended tire pressure. Over inflation can cause tires to explode resulting in severe or fatal injury."

Scary stuff :)

Big Leo