What's new

another stupid question from Jimmy

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
small drip from the swivel

I have a small drip from the swivel on one of my bays. I replaced the swivel but it still leaks. I cannot see anything from the attic so the leak is inside the boom I guess. Do I have to take the boom apart to see? I don't know what parts are in that downward part of the boom. Any idea what I may be dealing with?
Thanks
J

MEP001

Reaction score
Usually the "downward part" of the boom is a solid metal tube. Are you sure the replacement swivel isn't leaking? You could also have a cracked fitting at the top of the boom.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I only had 1 extra swivel so I don't know for sure I guess that the new one is not bad. Is the failure rate that high on those things? They are about 30-35 bucks each.

MEP001

Reaction score
Without knowing for sure whether the swivel is even bad, or even the brand of swivel and boom, I can't say. Can you not see where the leak is coming from?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
It looks like it is coming from the bottom of the swivel but I thought it unlikely that both were bad. It is a Jim Coleman boom. I should get a new swivel today to try.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Can you take a good swivel from another boom and put it on there to rule out the swivel?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I doubt the swivel is the problem, more likely its the connection or a small crack in the fitting somewhere. I assume you use teflon tape?

But, that said, I have received parts in the last couple years - more than once - that were not "fully assembled" even though they looked like they were. If its a repairable swivel I'd take it apart & make sure all the parts are in the right place, and everything is reassembled and tightened properly.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I'll try to take it apart again this afternoon to see if I can find a crack. This market is kind of consuming most of my time. I think the best thing for the economy would be for somebody to nuke the politicians in Washington.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I think I found the problem. The swivel is screwing in so far that I wasn't getting it in tight enough. I had to get my smallest set of channel locks to tighten it because the wrench wouldn't fit. I put about 12 rounds of teflon on it and I think it is going to be ok. I really needed another 1/2 inch of thread for it to fit correctly.
Thanks guys

MEP001

Reaction score
Try a Sonic swivel in it next time. They're probably selling you a Mosmatic which doesn't leave room between the bottom of the boom and the body of the swivel for a wrench. You can probably get an open-end wrench in there more easily than channel locks too.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks. I don't feel very smart realizing the thing was just not tight. Once I brought in the 12 foot ladder so I could get these old eyes close enough to see it was a big help.