What's new

Asphalt shingle roof cleaning

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got some dark streaks starting on my house roof ( about 17 years old). Has anyone had any success with the commercial cleaners available at Home Depot, etc.?

If so, what brand did you use?

thank you

soapy

Reaction score
That usually means it is time to replace the roof. Cleaning it will just accelerate the need to replace.

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
I have used 2 products for the black algae on roofs and general cleaning on the house, 30 seconds and wet and forget. I have also made my own cleaner if i didn't feel like going to the store. The Wet and Forget feels like its a little more potent to me. That's why I started using 30 seconds and have been happy with it. Seems to not be so harsh and doing what i do on the majority of the house annually you dont need to use as much or as harsh of a chemical. I have used 1 cup of trisodium phosphate, 1 gallon of bleach and between 3 and 5 gallons of water and make your own as well and apply with a pump sprayer and rinse off. On my roof i usually wet everything well with the hose and apply the cleaner stronger than recommened and let set for 10-15 minutes and risne off.