What's new

Automatic Motorcycle Wash

Plow Guy

Reaction score
Mep, Great link, I am a motorcycle guy and frequently help bikers at my wash.Most are a little funny about getting soap on their leather. We presser wash the fenders,rims and engines but we often hand wash the gauges and wipe down the leather with a damp cloth.Please do not get me wrong, this is a great Idea. The only thing I would add is Lexol Leather Conditioner in my drop vender. On the cutting edge, Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
Plow Guy said:
Most are a little funny about getting soap on their leather.
I thought it was a little weird myself, spraying presoak and high pressure on the seat and saddlebags. I've seen a lot of bikers washing at our self serve, and they're either careful not to get the seat wet or they remove it. Maybe the one in the video is all vinyl or PVC.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I get a fair bit of bikes in the summer and they like using the SS bays. For many riders, this is their toy and they like doing it themselves...so I'm not sure how much volume you could do to justify it. I think you could make an SS bike bay with a hydraulic lift and an air dryer, etc and do much better without the mega costs of that machine.

BigLeo

bigleo48

Reaction score
It's gonna take a lot more than a hydraulic lift and a blower to do a better job than that bike wash!
The two presoaks, wheel cleaner, HP rinse, sealant and spot free was insinuated. That's pretty much all he's doing with a modified G5.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea for a dealership or something, but I can't see it working at most washes...there simply wouldn't be the volume to make it financially viable.

BigLeo

jcollins

Reaction score
No G-5 parts involved, but the framework is similar.
I am associated with this developer, so I'm pretty sure Bill P. doesn't want me to post much about it (MotoExpressWash is not a paying advertiser, ....yet).
It is a new and great idea for certain locations, but not for all car wash locations.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Automatic MC wash? Good luck. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I've been riding MC's since 1974 and could count on one hand the number of bikers I know that would ever use one of these.

I never use high-pressure soap & water or a garden hose to clean a bike. My low rider has 60K miles on it and it looks great. Ten minutes with a drying cleaning every other ride plus a one hour detail once a month is all it takes.

Maybe an automatic wash will work for dealers or some of the weekend warrior or BMW crowds.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Just something else gimmicky to sell, service, and supply chemical to. Motorcycle sales soared last year and someone trying to cash in. Every bike owner I've ever known avoids rainy travel if at all possible, so good luck finding alot of dirty bikes out there. Also, check the odometer on your average motorcycle...very low. Low mileage equals garage kept and not much road time for getting dirty. I caught they mention a 'cool down' pass...sure...that's carcare 101, don't spray cool water on a hot engine. Cracked heads and engine blocks for everyone.

MEP001

Reaction score
raisetheprice said:
I caught they mention a 'cool down' pass...sure...that's carcare 101, don't spray cool water on a hot engine.
It's gotta be better than spraying presoak on hot aluminum.

On the manufacturer's site, there are photos of their grand opening and "before and after" pics of washed bikes. Some of them looked like someone splashed it through a muddy puddle just before pulling it in for the wash.

I'm pretty sure this auto was geared for those who ride year-round and don't even have a car. That's not the norm around here - motorcycles are probably a 98% hobby thing, and you may see 1 bike for every couple hundred cars on the road.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Talked to my motorcycle friend after he saw the clip.

He said the same thing as me; can't imagine too many motorcyclists using this around here. Maybe Daytona, LA, etc. Too gimmicky. Plus presoaking all that leather, aluminum, and lexan???