What's new

Best long range wasp/hornet killer?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have a nest in the peak of my pole barn, about the size of a grapefruit, and about 18' off the ground. I've looked at different products on Amazon, and it's not uncommon to see in the reviews that they don't shoot as far as advertised. I definitely don't want to fire this stuff from a ladder, in case I have to make a hasty retreat. Pushing 70, I don't do anything hastily anymore. Any recommendations for something with a quick kill and long range?

Sound_Boi

Reaction score

OurTown

Reaction score
Do it at night as they are more dormant then and can't see very well in the dark. Is it a hornet's nest? Those things are concerning.

edredtop

Reaction score
I have a nest in the peak of my pole barn, about the size of a grapefruit, and about 18' off the ground. I've looked at different products on Amazon, and it's not uncommon to see in the reviews that they don't shoot as far as advertised. I definitely don't want to fire this stuff from a ladder, in case I have to make a hasty retreat. Pushing 70, I don't do anything hastily anymore. Any recommendations for something with a quick kill and long range?
If my feet don't have to leave the ground, they don't!!
Put this on an extension pole and fire away with your best poison in a can.
Spray Can Extender Adjustment Sprayer Bracket Adaptor Adjustable Spray Extender | eBay

David Rolf

Reaction score

SoakZone

Reaction score
Brakleen. Kills on contact... and can use a lighter to add value to the removal process.

soapy

Reaction score
A great long term solution for any property is to get some Borax from a hardware store. Mix 1 TBL. spoon in a half gallon of apple juice. Pour this in several empty pop cans and put a small stick in the can that reaches the bottom and sticks out a couple of inches. The wasps and hornets will eat the apple juice and take it back to the hive. It a couple of weeks all the hornets will be dead including the queen. I do this every spring and late summer when I start to see them reappear. It keeps me free from the flying Jalepenos for months at a time. Bees won't touch it so they are safe.

JacksonV

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A great long term solution for any property is to get some Borax from a hardware store. Mix 1 TBL. spoon in a half gallon of apple juice. Pour this in several empty pop cans and put a small stick in the can that reaches the bottom and sticks out a couple of inches. The wasps and hornets will eat the apple juice and take it back to the hive. It a couple of weeks all the hornets will be dead including the queen. I do this every spring and late summer when I start to see them reappear. It keeps me free from the flying Jalepenos for months at a time. Bees won't touch it so they are safe.
Does this work on wasps and yellow-jackets?

soapy

Reaction score
Yes it works on both. Borax is very toxic to them and only takes a little. Lots of you tube videos on this. I have used it the last 3 years and it works great but it does take about 3 weeks to kill them all off.

soapy

Reaction score
I said borax and I should have said boric acid. I am enclosing a picture to clarify. Sorry for the confusion.