What's new

Best way to remove broken key from Abus Lock?

Keno

Reaction score
Hey group, one of the abus locks that locks the change drawer in one of our fragramatics vacs has a broken key in it from the previous owner. We would like to get that out so we can start using the coin drawer instead of the bucket we have in there now. We have tried a cheap key extractor with no luck. What's the best way to remove the key? Other issue is that we don't even know if it is the same key as the other locks if we do get the key out. Any ideas for removal of key and lock. It's an Abus disc type lock

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Ive heard of some having luck with superglue and the broken key but it sounds like you don't have that.

If it's a low security abus lock they can be drilled pretty easily, so easy that it's scary

Keno

Reaction score
You are correct, we don't have the broken key, we never got it. But may try taking a small piece of metal or something else and still try the super glue.

I don't really know which security model of abus lock it is. I'll have to check the other vacs, pretty sure it would be the same lock.

Keno

Reaction score
All other vac locks just say abus diskus 24, older locks. Super glue on a metal rod didn't work. May drill it if it as easy as you say?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A photo of the situation so you can see what is accessible might help with suggestions.

Keno

Reaction score
A photo of the situation so you can see what is accessible might help with suggestions.
I'll try to get a picture tomorrow, it's a fragramatics vac coin drawer, so nothing really accessible except the key hole/plug

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
look on YouTube. It's not secret that the low security abus are easy to drill. I think I drilled one many years ago and it opened in less than 30 seconds.

Keno

Reaction score
look on YouTube. It's not secret that the low security abus are easy to drill. I think I drilled one many years ago and it opened in less than 30 seconds.
This seems to be ridiculously easy on the videos...

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I've got broken keys out using an earth magnet. Worth a try if you have one laying around.

Keno

Reaction score
I've got broken keys out using an earth magnet. Worth a try if you have one laying around.
I would try it if I had 1, but I don’t. And seeing how easy it is to drill these, probably going to try that when I get some time