What's new

Building material

Clintearl

Reaction score
What is the best building material, brick or block? What is the cost difference? What is the best way to connect the roof?

MEP001

Reaction score
Building codes will usually determine how your roof is "connected." In most cases, brick or block is just a facade and the roof is supported by a metal frame.

Quality brick is more durable, block is less expensive but usually higher maintenance since it absorbs stains.

Reds

Reaction score
Brick is certainly more expensive, but gives you a really good looking building without the need to refresh the paint as time goes on. My building is split face block filled with mortor & rerod every 4'. The plate (wood 2x on top of the block wall) is bolted on with anchor bolts that were placed in the bond beam (top course of block made to be filled with concrete). Then the trusses were nailed to the plate, and had hurricane straps added (as per code) to strengthen the connection. The block has the texture of an english muffin and holds the dirt. Sherwin Williams makes an excellent block sealer and a paint made just for block. It goes on real thick and is good stuff. My wash is 3 years old, and I am going to repaint the inside of the bays this spring. The exterior would have been ok for another couple years, but we had a BAD flood that left the walls stained up to eye level. So this spring I will repaint the exterior also. If I can afford it I would certainly use brick the next time around.