What's new

Cold Water Rinse

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I should save alot on propane now that I have plumbed in cold water rinse to my SS bays. I ran it for 5 years with hot water rinse. I was inexperienced when I built new and never thought of cold water rinse. But after realizing my SS pump stand setup was fitted with the option (a separate manifold and solenoids), I plumbed it in.

After a few glitches, it is now working properly and only 1 customer has complained.

harleygrant

Reaction score
I should save alot on propane now that I have plumbed in cold water rinse to my SS bays. I ran it for 5 years with hot water rinse. I was inexperienced when I built new and never thought of cold water rinse. But after realizing my SS pump stand setup was fitted with the option (a separate manifold and solenoids), I plumbed it in.

After a few glitches, it is now working properly and only 1 customer has complained.
It saved me some money but it wasn't worth the bitching from the customers. I put it back on hot water rinse

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My friend estimates 1/3 propane savings! That's worth some bitching. Actually that's worth alot of bitching IMO.

Plus I explain how hot rinse is no benefit to the customer or vehicle.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
My floor heat uses a lot more gas than heating water, but I still iirc I calculated that cold water rinse would save me $1000 every year. That was 12-15 years ago.
I also did not receive any comments or complaints.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a $1000 raise for Waxman. Probably more nowadays with propane at $2.24/gal. Cool!

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Hot water rinse certainly is not necessary for 8-9 months in MA, but a warm water rinse in the dead of winter has merits.

We blend below freezing using the second output on our Weepmizer. It makes a huge difference in customer satisfaction with not a lot of expense

MC

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
My floor heat uses a lot more gas than heating water, but I still iirc I calculated that cold water rinse would save me $1000 every year. That was 12-15 years ago.
I also did not receive any comments or complaints.
Paul & others,

That's our experience too. A tiny percentage of customers may complain but they possibly would complain anyway. The thought of washing down bays in our "mud often brought in" area with warm or hot water doesn't make sense.

It seems that cold water removes suds a bit better so there might be consideration in that respect also.

MJ

Reds

Reaction score
I went to cold water rinse a couple years ago and only had a couple complaints. I carried a one month propane bill with me all the time - a bill for $2500. - and that usually raised their eyebrows and ended the discussion. I have not had a complaint in years.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reds:

What would you say your cost savings are annually?

bigleo48

Reaction score
I also only heat my rinse water in the bitter winter months (Dec thru March). Only ever had one complaint.

What I also do in both my touchless IBA and my SS bays is to bypass my softners in the easy cleaning months (Nov thru April). In those months, cleaning a vehicle is very easy and using 6 grain hardness water has no perceptible effect on the wash quality. That alone saves me about $300/mth. I also do not soften rinse water.

Etowah

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What are your easy cleaning months?

Do you do anything special to the softener or just turn the valves to bypass?

All my heated water is softened. so no rinse water is softened. I didn't even think of this as a way to save with cold water rinse but as you pointed out, it is! Thanks.

Reds

Reaction score
Reds:

What would you say your cost savings are annually?
The numbers are all over the map, but here they are along with temps and price per gallon of propane - For Jan+Feb+Mar- which are my expensive months for heating. Nothing has changed as to area heated or equipment. Switch to cold water was in the fall of 2009. And propane prices went up dramatically (20%)from 2007 to 2008

2008: $7600 - 2.50/Gal - Mean temps. Jan 28-Feb 24-Mar 32
2009: $2600 - 2.30/Gal - Mean temps. Jan 17-Feb 26-Mar 36
2010: $3100 - 2.55/Gal - Mean temps. Jan 23-Feb 24-Mar 40
2011: $5700 - 2.80/Gal - Mean temps. Jan 20-Feb 25-Mar 31

You can see the variation in all the numbers. I got my weather history from Weatherunderground.com and my prices from EIA website. This is just my experience and the weather has a tremendous impact on amount of fuel used. Even if the mean temp is not as cold as the prior year the wind could be blowing hard non stop and run the usage up - I have a constant north wind blowing at the entry side of my wash all winter long. Propane prices on the bill are also adjusted for temperature due to the physics of propane, which in my opinion opens the door for some chicanery. But no matter how you cut the cake my heating expense is down.

Etowah