What's new

Cost Effective Solutions for Increasing Dryer Efficiency

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Long story short, my IBA dryer is an old Tempest system with (2) 15 hp motors on top pointed directly down. Due to some shipping issues and such, the oscillating aspect will not work unless I buy the upgrade kit from Dryer Pros at roughly $1k+ shipping. Because they are both fixed, the dryers don't work nearly as well as I would like them too...I was thinking about installing some type of "diffuser" at the outlet to try and direct air out a little more rather than down...a buddy of mine that works at a fab shop said he could make 2 of them for less than a $100 total. Do you think this will work? It seems like it should work, but I wanted to get some opinions first...

Thanks!

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
Make sure your drying agent is properly set up first......

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Superior had a history of making nice dryers but I believe the company is no more.

One thought - find the remains of an old PDQ 4000 docking or free standing dryer with the coanda nozzles. Three motor design with simple osscilating mechanism.

Maybe you could find one on the cheap, rebuild it and stand it or hang on the building like the tempest.

gearhead

Reaction score
Dryer Mod

$100 is very inexpensive R & D. Why not give it a shot and see what happens? Just make the attachment of the Diffusor as simple as possible just in case it doesnt work. If you do decide to try it, I would be interested in seeing what your fab guy comes up with.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
$100 is very inexpensive R & D. Why not give it a shot and see what happens? Just make the attachment of the Diffusor as simple as possible just in case it doesnt work. If you do decide to try it, I would be interested in seeing what your fab guy comes up with.
That's kind of where my head was at...he plans on making it adjustable...I guess we will see what ends up happening. Should have it by this weekend if I'm lucky.

trip

Reaction score
like mrAap said about drying agent ,,, then try increasing drying time a bit thru your paramters --- also , i just installed a new carwash and left the old dryers ,, and noticed that they had been running in reverse for 10 years , customer ask if i put in new fans lol