What's new

Cost Per Car

washregal

Reaction score
Have there been any solid formulas out there to atain general cost per vehical washed?

Self Serve:

Avg per minute of washing per customer High end as well as low end?

IBA:

Formula for general calculation on best way to price wash's and price services?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I did some analysis similar to this about 2 years ago. Sorry, but I didn't keep the figures and results.

I was curious about the merits of running a highly efficient wash, with chemicals run down to minimums and pressures low, compared to a "let it all fly" wash that put out a ton of chemicals and a lot of pressure.

Again, I didn't save the numbers, but it became very clear to me that the chasing of efficiencies regarding chemical and pressure was a tiny fraction of the bigger picture. Pumping out lots of soap and pressure to try to boost revenues with a good customer impression greatly overwhelmed any effort to economize on my cost for each car washed. The non-direct costs of utilities, property tax, insurance, etc. just greatly outweighed the importance, at least for me, of the cost per car.

I've answered a different question than you asked, but I wanted to respond because I did chase after the same data previously. Not sure if that is helpful or not.

Joe

Reaction score
Cost per Car

Pumping out lots of soap and pressure to try to boost revenues with a good customer impression greatly overwhelmed any effort to economize on my cost for each car washed.

I agree with you here on customer impression. Getting a great clean for your money it primary. Putting on 80% of the soap to do the job will only create frustration and cause customers to go elsewhere. Buying a soap that cost less per unit will not always create lest cost. Many times they are cheaper and take more to do the same job. Inversely, buying the most expensive soap will not get you the best clean.

There are many variables that impact the cost per car. Find a trained professional that knows how to set up a system and control cost and get a clean car at a economical price and give the customer that WOW as they look at their car after they get to the next stop is a very valuable asset. Find one and become a good friend. Primary though is to learn how they are doing what they do so you can keep it that way between visits.