What's new

crunching numbers for oil lube franchise

Jesse Dobbins

Reaction score
if any can help ....I'm thinking about getting in the oil lube buisness, but would like a little advise on purchasing my own modular building. so if you know of any sites I could visit and compare pricing it would be appreciated.....or is it cheaper to buy into franchise......thanks

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Jessie,

The quick oil change business is not what it once was. The industry is mature and pressured from less demand because of extended oil change mileage and people driving less and increased competition because more new car dealers getting into the quick oil change game.

Because of this and rising cost of goods and labor burden, a new stand-alone two bay lube facility has almost become a thing of the past.

If you want to make it today, you would most likely want to consider becoming a full-service lube. This means a bigger store that would provide a very wide range of services including quick oil change, fluid exchange, tire rotation and balance, emission and safety inspection and maybe even a carwash.

There are franchises available and there also operating agreements with certain companies that don’t require monthly royalties and marketing fees.

I suggest you begin your research by visiting http://www.noln.net/

Hope this helps.

packerscw

Reaction score
I would not recommend getting into the quick lube business right now.

MOST car dealerships have been offering Oil Changes(FULL SERVICE OR REGULAR SERVICE) cheaper than you can buy oil, just to get you in the door. Then once you get into the door thay tell you that you need BRAKES, TIRES, and everything else under the sun.

We have owned a quick lube for 23 years now and we have the reputation for only selling you what you need and not trying to screw you over.

The quick lube business now is all about=how cheap you can do a oil change for and how fast you are.

When you are active in a full service oil change business, today people are not as worried about what kind of oil they are getting or what kind of service they are getting..only as long as it is cheap and fast.

People just don't care about maintenance like they did ten years ago.

THE NEW NORMAL:(

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
People just don't care about maintenance like they did ten years ago.

THE NEW NORMAL:(
I think it goes back further than ten years. It has to do with the increase in personally leased vehicles in my opinion. It also effects carwash volume. Why spend money to maintain something you don't own and will give back in a few years:rolleyes:

Turbo

Reaction score
Jessie,

The quick oil change business is not what it once was. The industry is mature and pressured from less demand because of extended oil change mileage and people driving less and increased competition because more new car dealers getting into the quick oil change game.

Because of this and rising cost of goods and labor burden, a new stand-alone two bay lube facility has almost become a thing of the past.

If you want to make it today, you would most likely want to consider becoming a full-service lube. This means a bigger store that would provide a very wide range of services including quick oil change, fluid exchange, tire rotation and balance, emission and safety inspection and maybe even a carwash.

There are franchises available and there also operating agreements with certain companies that don’t require monthly royalties and marketing fees.

I suggest you begin your research by visiting http://www.noln.net/

Hope this helps.
I agree with everything Robert mentioned.

We have a 3 bay quick lube and 3 bay self serv with an inbay auto.

The oil change side is doing well but we are the exception.

If I were to get into this business I would buy an existing one without any restrictions on where I can buy my oil from and get a variable rate lease with a cap. It would need to look bad and be poorly managed. I would also want to have a carwash and regular service bays.

I had the chance to buy one that had an existing car count,lloked bad, poorly managed, no restrictions on oil, variable lease with a cap. No car wash and no service bays. I passed.