What's new

Drilling Medeco cam locks

CarwashRob

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with drilling out Medeco cam locks. One of my employees lost the only set of keys to 50 locks. If someone can help please PM me I can verify the car wash and that they are my locks to drill first. It was crazy expensive just ordering the replacement locks, and it would be nice to save some money on a locksmith. Thank you in advance.

Randy

Reaction score
I just sent you a PM

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with drilling out Medeco cam locks. One of my employees lost the only set of keys to 50 locks. If someone can help please PM me I can verify the car wash and that they are my locks to drill first. It was crazy expensive just ordering the replacement locks, and it would be nice to save some money on a locksmith. Thank you in advance.
I stand corrected and I edited my first response to this post, with a name like that it makes one wonder but with the verified info it changes things and I'm sorry for my original response.

Last edited:

OurTown

Reaction score
How many times have we seen that the very first post of a new member asks about this? It seems it is several times per year.

MEP001

Reaction score
Rob looks like someone who would have only one key to 50 Medeco locks.

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
Why not just pay someone to pick one cylinder & get a duplicate key made off that cylinder?

OurTown

Reaction score
Why not just pay someone to pick one cylinder & get a duplicate key made off that cylinder?

I don't that is going to happen with Medeco locks. You have to go through a Medeco dealer and prove ownership plus they are very difficult to pick.

Roz

Reaction score
I have been to this wash, very well run. Still trying to figure out they make money at 15min for $5 for SS....They do have a great location in a strip mall which is part of the answer (volume) as I think their bays are busy all the time.

OurTown

Reaction score
Because there is a set of keys floating around out there. The locks need to be changed. He's probably already into the process Randy has shared with most of us.

Oh yeah. That too....

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
I don't that is going to happen with Medeco locks. You have to go through a Medeco dealer and prove ownership plus they are very difficult to pick.
They are easier to get into than you think. Try searching youtube if you doubt this. (Picking) + (Your favorite lock brand) + (Model #)

Rekeying is still cheaper than buying new if the key was lost for 50 locks.

MEP001

Reaction score
Rekeying is still cheaper than buying new if the key was lost for 50 locks.
I'm assuming they're all T-handle and/or plug locks. In both cases you just replace the Medeco portion. I doubt you can "rekey" a Medeco cylinder.

Randy

Reaction score
Picking one of the locks and getting a key made is a great idea. The only problem is you can’t just go to a locksmith and get a Medeco key made. Medeco keys are controlled and you can only get a replacement key made from the company that sold the original lock. Let’s say you have a Standard changer with a Medeco lock and you want a spare key you can’t go to anyone but Standard to order a spare Medeco key. This is why it is important to keep a record of the Medeco key number and who you bought the original Medeco locks from. Whenever I sell a Medeco lock I record the key number and if the customer needs another lock or key I can get it done for them, it’s happened a few times that I’ve had to get a Medeco key or replacement lock made.

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
You can definitely rekey a Medeco cylinder.

As far as them being controlled, on most older Medeco locks, the patents have expired and you will find a ton of locksmiths that would have no problem working on them for you (and most certainly if you are bringing in the cylinders). Their newer M3 and M4 tech looks pretty good but I doubt that is what you have on your cylinders.

If you want better lock security I recommend using an ABLOY PROTEC2 or some of the higher end key systems from ABUS or upgrading to a newer version of Medeco.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If the key is lost, who knows where it is and getting a key made would allow the "Finder" to have access???