What's new

Fragrances, Oil or Water based

soapyjim

Reaction score
Where there is no potential for freezing, is there a benefit to using oil based fragrances over water based in fragrance machines and combo-vacs.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
We are in a freezing climate, however, we use oil based fragrance year round. I have never experimented, but I would think the oil based scent would last longer/linger longer. If thats true, you may actually want to use the water based scent so they come back more often.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've tried the water-based and it doesn't last at all. I sprayed it all over the floor, went back to lock up the equipment room, and when I got back in my car it was already gone. I've used nothing but oil-based ever since. I use only the Fragramatics brand which has never gummed up in the machine.

Louise

Reaction score
Does the oil based not leave spots on upholstery??

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never had a complaint, but I try to be sure that the machines are always working properly and spraying a mist without dripping to prevent such a thing.

Eric H

Reaction score
"Does the oil based not leave spots on upholstery??"

I've never had anyone make a complaint about spotty upholstery.
The instructions on the machine say to "spray into the carpet under the seats".

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
I too used Fragramatics. I must have used there water based stuff (sold by the gallon) because I used to cut it 50/50 with water? It always seemed to last atleast 3-4 days.

Danny

Reaction score
Does the oil based not leave spots on upholstery??
Generally it is not the fragrance that stains (unless it contains dyes which can stain). The oil based fragrances stay "wet" longer attracking soils which is where the staining typically occurs. Oil based can damage plastic and painted surfaces though.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Does everyone have their fragrance in with a combo vac? I have a stand alone unit that only does about $40.00/month at a .75 vend. Would I see more use in a combo vac rather than a stand alone?

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
Would I see more use in a combo vac rather than a stand alone?
The norm is that you would. I've had a few people tell me they do $100 a month in a standalone fragrance machine, but $25-50 is more usual. Combo vacs help justify a higher purchase price for fragrance - our vacs and fragrance are both priced $1.00 and we go through a lot of fragrance. With nine fragrances (counting Cherry twice since it's in two machines), each gallon lasts between about 6 and 15 months, if that gives you an idea of usage. These are older units that don't "pump" the fragrance into the gun, which uses less fragrance than the newer ones that do.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What do you mean it doesn't pump it in?

Mep: Can you also e-mail me? I want to talk to you about the LOGO! relays that you use

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
What do you mean it doesn't pump it in?
I assume your standalone machine just has an air compressor, and it draws the fragrance via the eductor in the gun. Some newer ones have peristaltic pumps to deliver the fragrance. I have yet to see a real benefit from this. Our Doyle units have a much larger compressor than the Fragramatics or IVS units, and do an excellent job of drawing/spraying the fragrance without pumps.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
Mep: Can you also e-mail me? I want to talk to you about the LOGO! relays that you use
If your request is related to your thread asking about monitoring bays, the LOGO! is not a good solution. By themselves there is little more to them than switching ability, and the various monitoring features in them are meant more for functionality (Resetting something after a certain count, for example) than plugging into Excel. My e-mail address is in my profile if you do have qny questions.