What's new

Freshly Painted car first wash advice

SlugStang

Reaction score
I just got my car painted at Macco. Maccos Premium Paint job warrantied for 5 years. I was told that the paint is Solvent Paint 2 stage. The Color is Electric Blue Metallic. It looks similiar to the 1966 Ford Silver Blue Metallic. Its basically a light blue color if you don't know what blue i am talking about. I did not have the car color sanded. The Paint job looks great in my opinion. The car was originally bright red. Its a 2008 ford mustang v6 automatic.

My after Paint Car car instructions were very vague, I was told not to wash the car for a month. That is about it No other reccomendations were made by Macco.
The car is my daily driver. But i keep it in the garage at night and most of the day.

So after a month or so i was going to wash the car with Mothers car wash soap. 2 buckets using filtered water from a regular garden hose. I bought a garden hose filter from the home depot online. It basically makes the garden hose water into drinking water safe for pets and watering plants. It is about 34 $ and last for 1000 gallons. I read that regular garden hose water is not safe for car paint. Witch makes sense but i never knew that up until recently. The water from the sprinkler system around my home leaves water spots in car paint so i suspect the water is unsafe from the hose. In other word the garden hose water is not soft water, its hard water.
I bought a Mothers lambswool wash Mit. I was going to use that to wash the car for the first time.

Will the filter work and make the water safe to wash the car with or do i have to buy some other device to make the water safe to wash the car?

When should i wax the car for the first time?

What type of wax should i use? Is it safe to use cleaner wax? I have mothers carnauba cleaner wax.

I will not take the car to a car wash.

I will not use a foam gun or cannon.

I will not use a pressure washer.

How long should i wait to wax the car for the first time?

Any Professional detail advice would be greatly appreciated.

DavidM

Reaction score
You might be lost. This is a forum for professional car wash operators but you state you will not take the car to a car wash. Our advice is mostly going to tell you how to properly use a professional car wash which you are already set against.

I think you are going to have better luck getting answers in a diy detailers forum.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you can definitely use a professional car wash to wash most any car unless it leaks like a lot of old cars or convertibles etc. You just hold the spray wand far enough away from the paint as to not cause damage ; usually a few feet. Most of the advice I have ever heard about fresh paint jobs is to wait 30 days before sealing it with any kind of wax etc.

But I also agree that you should check out a DIY detailing forum and not a car wash forum.