What's new

Full Service Headache's And Solutions

RockyExpress

Reaction score
Outside of the common issue of labor, what are some of yall's biggest problems of operation when it comes to full serve and how did yall conquer them?

washnshine

Reaction score
I don’t run a full serve, but if you are talking about the traditional full serve model where cars are vacuumed and floor matts are washed at the entrance of the tunnel and interior glass , door jambs and dashes are cleaned at the exit, it just is not very efficient. You have one line that every car must go through even if every customer does not want an interior cleaning. This model was replaced by the flex serve where only the exterior is washed in the tunnel and then cars wanting interior cleaning are moved to another bay or line on the property.
You are right- labor is huge, but the inefficiency of the model is definitely another challenge. The best thing you can do is somehow try to separate out your interior customers, so they are not slowing down the process for exterior only customers.

RockyExpress

Reaction score
I don’t run a full serve, but if you are talking about the traditional full serve model where cars are vacuumed and floor matts are washed at the entrance of the tunnel and interior glass , door jambs and dashes are cleaned at the exit, it just is not very efficient. You have one line that every car must go through even if every customer does not want an interior cleaning. This model was replaced by the flex serve where only the exterior is washed in the tunnel and then cars wanting interior cleaning are moved to another bay or line on the property.
You are right- labor is huge, but the inefficiency of the model is definitely another challenge. The best thing you can do is somehow try to separate out your interior customers, so they are not slowing down the process for exterior only customers.

In this particular instance the only think getting done to the unit before it enters the wash is the vacuum. Once vacuumed and washed the unit is pulled to a separate covered area to finish out the service.

The location has 4 lanes that merge to one wash entrance in my opinion this aspect of the process couldn't get much more efficient given the current space and build layout.

One lane will be dedicated to a exterior wash only lane if we see that as a demand.

washnshine

Reaction score
In this particular instance the only think getting done to the unit before it enters the wash is the vacuum. Once vacuumed and washed the unit is pulled to a separate covered area to finish out the service.

The location has 4 lanes that merge to one wash entrance in my opinion this aspect of the process couldn't get much more efficient given the current space and build layout.

One lane will be dedicated to a exterior wash only lane if we see that as a demand.
That is good - if you’ve maximized the efficiency, given your property and layout, you are doing better than a lot of operators I have seen in the past.

Islandwash

Reaction score
There is a real desire on the part of consumers for Full Service car washing, regardless of how we do it, flex service or traditional.
The question is whether customers will pay the price. Many issues. Part of the problem ( price ) is staffing and greatly variable traffic depending on weather and the retail mood. I ran one for over 25 years. Not fun Unfortunately with the advent of Big Box Express Washes this may be the refuge for family run carwashes.

I run a flex service at my express conveyor and have been substantially raising the price for Full Service, in the past few months. There has been no pushback from customers and that gives me hope. A lower volume, much higher priced service is better for us. For operational reasons, I prefer flex service over the traditional. Consumers are finally starting to be aware that premium services cost more. They just want it done for them.

Manko76

Reaction score
There is a real desire on the part of consumers for Full Service car washing, regardless of how we do it, flex service or traditional.
The question is whether customers will pay the price. Many issues. Part of the problem ( price ) is staffing and greatly variable traffic depending on weather and the retail mood. I ran one for over 25 years. Not fun Unfortunately with the advent of Big Box Express Washes this may be the refuge for family run carwashes.

I run a flex service at my express conveyor and have been substantially raising the price for Full Service, in the past few months. There has been no pushback from customers and that gives me hope. A lower volume, much higher priced service is better for us. For operational reasons, I prefer flex service over the traditional. Consumers are finally starting to be aware that premium services cost more. They just want it done for them.
I agree with this. As expresses continue to pop up and full services convert...there is just not a lot of competition or options to get the windows and vacuuming done for you. People have come to realize that if they want these services they are going to pay for it. I run a full service car wash for over 20 years now and the more expresses that move to town the better my business has been. People are neglecting their insides with more express washes and express memberships that they flock to us when they want the insides done or a "good wash". We are coming off our three busiest years ever and we have raised the prices every 8-9 months with no push back and an actual increase in business.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I agree with this. As expresses continue to pop up and full services convert...there is just not a lot of competition or options to get the windows and vacuuming done for you. People have come to realize that if they want these services they are going to pay for it. I run a full service car wash for over 20 years now and the more expresses that move to town the better my business has been. People are neglecting their insides with more express washes and express memberships that they flock to us when they want the insides done or a "good wash". We are coming off our three busiest years ever and we have raised the prices every 8-9 months with no push back and an actual increase in business.
Do you have a monthly price for FS and if so how do you run the program?

Manko76

Reaction score
Do you have a monthly price for FS and if so how do you run the program?
we started our monthly memberships a little under 2 years ago and it’s been a huge hit. We do it a little differently tho. Something I haven’t seen before. We don’t offer interior services as a part of the membership. Since labor is always a battle for a full service the thought of people getting the inside done, even if they don’t need a vacuum or need their windows done…but getting it just because it’s in their package….was not an efficient option for us. Our membership gets you the best exterior wash and hand dry for free, but if you want to add the interior or any extras, you pay a heavily discounted price. It keeps the price down for our regular and most loyal customers and people aren’t abusing the interior part of the membership because they still have to pay out of pocket. Even as we have raised the prices for our washes since starting the memberships, we were able to keep the member prices the same.

it basically has lead to if you only come in a few times a year or only when you want something your express membership at a chain car wash doesn’t offer…you are going to pay a much higher price. If you are a loyal and regular customer who signs up…your price stays low.

Islandwash

Reaction score
Thank you for your corroboration. An important part is pricing accordingly. Individual service always costs more I think an analogy of fine dining as compared to an Applebee's or Fridays.
-----
I do not include Full Service in a club. I charge $15 on top of the regular wash or club for the inside. If I had a larger crew I might do otherwise .

Manko76

Reaction score
Thank you for your corroboration. An important part is pricing accordingly. Individual service always costs more I think an analogy of fine dining as compared to an Applebee's or Fridays.
-----
I do not include Full Service in a club. I charge $15 on top of the regular wash or club for the inside. If I had a larger crew I might do otherwise .
That is exactly what we do. And for the same reason. I haven’t seen that done anywhere else. The few full services I know still around charge 70-80 dollars a month for unlimited interiors. That was never going to work for my customers or my work force.

Manko76

Reaction score
Individual service always costs more I think an analogy of fine dining as compared to an Applebee's or Fridays.
haha, we say the same to our customers. we compare express washes to the fast food chains of the car wash business. quick and easy, but you don't go to McDonalds when you want a "great burger".