What's new

Getting the screws out of the round safe

Randy

Reaction score
Try heating up the vault head with a torch then spray to screw heads with penetrating oil. Then drill out the screws them out with a left handed drill bit. You can buy them at Home Depot. If your lucky they'll come out as you drill them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I know what u mean, lol. I just have OCD. I want it to look nice/clean but u r right, there is no point in doing this.
I also have a Square stub with a hole for a Puck lock welded to mine along with a circular band of steel that surrounds the puck lock to slow down the dingbats who want to attack the Plug lock. So, the standard handles would not work with that.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If I did it again I might have a cover for the entire lock made like the Security Door for Some Vaults. I will look for a link or photo

Attachments

Etowah

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
How do you get them out without handles? Ours are sometimes difficult even with the handles.
Usually the Allen wrench has enough friction that it will rotate the entire head and pull it back. If not the steel that encircles the Puck lock and tab are easy to grab.

OurTown

Reaction score
Usually the Allen wrench has enough friction that it will rotate the entire head and pull it back. If not the steel that encircles the Puck lock and tab are easy to grab.

Our heads are not stainless and they build up rust around them.

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
I i have a handle break i dont replace it for the very reason of having to fight to drill screws out. I take a piece of copper wire and loop it through the retainers and twist it back on itself and make my own handle.

Zar

Reaction score
I have had 2 handles broke. Is there a quick/easy way to take the screws out of the vaults?
A fragramatics vac tool will remove it. If it is smaller than a 12mm. I suggest getting a stare 12 and dilling the middle to 3mm.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Use a curved claw hammer insert where handle was and wedge hammer against outside edge of vault. No way to get screws out, you will end up stripping them. Also, attach a wire wheel to drill and clean out rust around inner part of vault and spray with wd40 or something similar after. Also, lubricate throws on vault cover. You need to do this at least twice a month depending on where you are located. Definitely need to cover plug lock. I had someone try to drill mine out on 12 vaults, ruined every lock. I ended up having to drill out plug locks to get open and had to buy new safe covers at 350.00 each.