What's new

Giving away the farm???

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I was just in Gatlinburg, TN. While there, I saw just one SS car wash. There may have been more, but not where this "Joe Tourist" would see them. I needed to knock the bugs off my windshield so I went to the only wash I had seen. To my amazement it was $.25 to start, and for a full minute! The place was a dump, but it seemed to have the common services. I plunked in a whole quarter and soaped my windshield with HP soap until the time ran out. I then grabbed the brush and scrubbed it (I didn't put in another quarter) until I felt it was clean. Not being a cheapskate, I sprung for another quarter to rinse. I would have thought nothing of ponying up for a full $1.50 or 2 buck cycle, but why if I can get it for practically nothing? Why in the world would someone with a somewhat captured market give their service away? I've never been able to understand that mentality:confused:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The sad thing is that he doesn't realize that with more money, he'd find it worth going and cleaning it up. That is why the mom and pop units will go away.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Pat, I know exactly the car wash your talking about and it is the only one in Gatlinburg. You would have to drive back down to Pigeon Forge to find the nearest car wash and you can bet with the property value like it is in Gatlinburg, there won't be another car wash built there. I can't understand why they would want to give it away either. Were you in town for the races at Bristol?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I wish it had been for the race, but Mary's mom passed away last week and we just needed to get away from it all for a couple of days.

The wash was a mile or so out 321 (I think). It was actually somewhat clean, but was old and rough around the edges. I did notice that it did not have countdown display timers, just a light. I would have liked to latch onto it and make a money maker out of it, but that would mean I would have to pack up and move to that beautiful area.

Fatboy769

Reaction score
Pat, please give my condolences to Mary. It's been a while since I was in Gatlinburg, but the last time I was there, there was a laundromat beside the car wash. If your ever in the Bristol area, give me a shout and I'll give you a free car wash.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have passed it many times. never stopped to look at it. It just didn't look like it was worth stopping at. Back in Pigeon Forge off the main drag there is a neat one done is a log cabin motif.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I spent a career in an entirely different industry, then bought a SS after retiring.

What have I been most surprised at in the car wash industry? Underpricing. In my opinion a large number of SS wash owners underprice their washes-- either due to fear, ignorance, or just being comfortable with leaving things the way they have always been.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I spent a career in an entirely different industry, then bought a SS after retiring.

What have I been most surprised at in the car wash industry? Underpricing. In my opinion a large number of SS wash owners underprice their washes-- either due to fear, ignorance, or just being comfortable with leaving things the way they have always been.
That's where I am at my wash. By far the nicest in town (2 other SS in town), just a little hesitant that a price hike with drive my customers to the competition. I am thinking about it too much though, I just need to raise the price.

Fatboy769

Reaction score
I used to work for a company that serviced this particular car wash several years ago. The original owner also owned the laundromat and a motel across the street. With the value of land in this area, he definately had a monoply on car washing. This wash wouldn't last a month in a very competitive market like most deal with.