What's new

Hand wash

aaaproper

Reaction score
I'm considering turning a old sonic drive in a hand wash on a busy road directly in front of a huge high school. Lease is 2500 a month. Any input from you vets would he helpful. Thanks in advance

DavidM

Reaction score
For clarification, are you washing the cars by hand for the customer or you providing them the equipment, like a self service car wash?

washnshine

Reaction score
Assuming you will be cleaning vehicle interiors and exteriors, you will need an extensive labor force. Even if you were cleaning exteriors only, you still would need substantial and reliable labor. Location across from a school is not a benefit in my mind. I’d rather it be across from a shopping center, strip mall, food eateries etc.

DavidM

Reaction score
When you say you are considering.... what does that mean? Have you done any research? Do you have any experience running a labor intensive business like that? Any experience washing cars?
Why hand wash? Why that location?

To survive, you will need to be able to recruit, hire, train, manage and lead a large team (30-75 people).

Hand washing is a niche service. Does well in some areas but not universal. The amount of time it takes can make it hard to get customers to come frequently.

From my experience in full service car washing, a hand wash is a daunting challenge. I wouldn't want to do it. Companies are moving towards more automation, not less. I'm not convinced that is a trend that you want to fight.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad idea. Being adjacent to a large high school is a negative. Those kids are not your customers, people avoid driving near high schools every morning and afternoon due to the traffic. Most high school kids make crappy employees too.