What's new

Help!!!! Save our arms!!!

toxc107

Reaction score
We operate an IBA with 4 large glass windows lining the side. These windows over time have grown covered in buildup. What is the best solution for removing the buildup? Nothing seems to be working. Thanks in advance.

MEP001

Reaction score
A product called Klean Wall should take it right off.

soapy

Reaction score
Sometimes it is cheaper to replace the glass than it is to buy all the chemicals to get rid of the build up. Even with the chemicals you will probably still end up with some etching on the glass if you use chemicals.

bighead

Reaction score
Maybe the thing to do would be to clean it, then put some rain-x or aquapel (my personal favorite) type treatment on the glass when you are done cleaning it. Theoretically it should slow down the build up, if not make it easier to clean in between times.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
If you have glass in doors, eliminate wall glass. Plenty of light with doors open or glass panels in doors which are cheap to replace at local hardware.

Ted

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
There is 1 called Nu-Wall too from Arcadia. It's hydroflouric acid. Pretty stout stuff.

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
An IBA owner that has an all-glass building told me that they rigged up sprinklers that spray RO water on the glass every night and that this prevents film build up and keeps the glass sparkling. I would think that any of the glass car wash building companies can give you some pointers. Also, it seems that a clear solar film would work great in the areas with the most buildup - when they get cloudy, just remove 'em, toss 'em, and put up some new film.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Being the huge Nascar fan that I am, I was always thinking that the windshield "tear-off" film that they use on race cars would work great since they don't leave adhesive behind. The last time I was in NC I found the place where the race teams buy it and actually bought some myself. I had originally planned to replace my glass and install the film and replace it as needed. Well, that stuff is expensive as hell! It was $2 per sq. ft. and only came on a 5' wide roll, so doing one 4' X 4' window would use 20 sq. ft. I ended up only buying about 8' (70 some bucks) off a roll so I could do the most visible glass near my changer area. That was 2 1/2 years ago and that stuff is still in my garage because I haven't replace that glass yet. I'll get around to it one of these days.

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
I have very large windows in my IBAs, and have had the same problem with build up of chemical and dirt. The best product I have been able to find is Nu-Wall from Arcadian. I have not experienced any etching using the following technique: spray a small area(about 10 - 20 square feet) with the Nu-Wall; using a green scrub pad on a drywallers sanding pole (3M Scotch Brite has a size that fits the head of the pole) rapidly attack the sprayed area. You can actually feel when the buildup is gone - window will be much slicker; then quickly rinse with water.

You don't leave the Nu-Wall on the glass long enough to etch (or at least I haven't seen any etching).

The product is nasty and you should take steps to protect yourself.

Bill

Last edited:

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
My wife was having trouble getting our shower clean at home so I brought home some Nu-wall. It is amazing at the wash how it just eats the dirt and grime off but it did not work on our shower. I can't figure out why not. I didn't like using it in the house much anyway.

MEP001

Reaction score
There's a shower-cleaning product called Scrub Free soap scum remover that contains sulfamic acid. It's relatively safe and cheap, and cleans well enough that (despite its name, it's not truly scrub free) you can scrub the stuff off with a paper towel. I use it in the shower with a Scotch-Brite sponge only because it doesn't clog up easily, and after it's been sprayed on and has sat for a couple minutes it just wipes right off.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Like Allen said, RO water on a timer. I haven't done it yet in my tunnel but I can tell you that in the section were my RO water sprays or blows off the cars and onto the windows... theres no hard ware build up. The others we clean every few days with "Tunnel Vision" that I buy from my Lustra rep. HF also works but is dangerous and hazardous to your health and can etch the glass.

alkopsick

Reaction score
Pure Clean has a glass wash down system. Ours washes down the glass every time there is a 3 minute lapse in between cars.