What's new

How to size an Air Compressor

Roz

Reaction score
Is there any rule of thumb for sizing a car wash air compressor for a simple self service car wash?

Bill Capron

Reaction score
A dry lube compressor won’t last. Be sure it has a crankcase that you have to check the oil level in.

Randy

Reaction score
It all depends on how much air you need or what you’re going to be running. If it’s just a small 4 or 5 bay self-serve you can get by with a 20 gallon 100% duty cycle air compressor. If you have an automatic then you’re going to need something like a 60 gallon or an 80 gallon if you’re going to be using a lot of compressed air. The slower an air compressor runs the longer they will last. A lot of manufactures use the same pump but increase the pump speed so the air compressor will put out more CFM’s. Don’t EVER! think about buying an oil less air compressor, they are total junk, won’t last long in a car wash. In 1994 the night before we were to go on vacation the air compressor at the car wash died. We scrambled around and found a 20 gallon Sanborn at Builder’s Square, got there right before they closed. We installed the Sanborn thinking it wouldn’t last long. It’s still in service today, replaced the pressure switch once and rebuilt the motor once, I’m waiting for it to die, but it just keeps on chugging along, it runs real slow.

Reactions: Roz

Roz

Reaction score
Thx for the info most helpful. Probably using a 6HP for a 5 bay SS.

MEP001

Reaction score
Thx for the info most helpful. Probably using a 6HP for a 5 bay SS.
I'd go with a pair of small vertical tank compressors, or one really good one and a small backup. My wash is six bay SS with one 7.5HP 80 gallon vertical tank two-stage compressor which hasn't been much trouble aside from the cheap Chinese motors. I keep hoping something major will go wrong with the pump so I can replace it with one of these:

or two of these: