What's new

Hypro Pump Oil Seal Retainer

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this part out of a Hypro PowerLine 2414B-P pump?

I'm rebuilding the pump and had to crack open the manual, which shows to use two screwdrivers, one on the top and one on the bottom, to use as leverage to pop them out. I've successfully done this before with my other pumps, but for some reason this one has them stuck in there. I've pulled the crankshaft and plungers out to see if I can tap them out from the back. Before I do that and risk damaging them, I wanted to see if anyone on this forum has any other suggestions which would be less intrusive to the pump.

Open for ideas...

MEP001

Reaction score
I have two of those crankcases with the seal reatiner pretty much fused into the crankcase. That problem is caused by moisture, either unusual humidity in the environment or a water leak, either within the pump or onto it. I cannot get them out at all, even used channel locks and tried to turn them to break them loose. All I've been able to do is to shred brass off.

The retainers are inexpensive to replace - if you have to ruin them to get them out, you can get new ones. The downside is that they changed the style of the seals and retainers at least twice, and you may have to replace all the parts in the head and not just the seals.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Thanks MEP, I'll put the case on my vice and try to knock them out from behind. Leaving them in and replacing the other seals would be pointless if they'll allow water to get into the oil.

Auto Spa

Reaction score
I have used a small pry bar that will fit into the holes and tapped on it to break them loose one side at a time and worked it out that way. They had to be worked out almost all the way before they were loose enough to pull out. This was on a pump that had seals leaking for about a week prior to removing putting the sprare in.

Etowah