What's new

IBA Competing with Express Wash

washdoc58

Reaction score
I have two NuStar Comets (touchless) that are popular with tri-foam, rocker panel blaster and spot free rinse and blowers at two different self serve locations with a fairly large Express Wash with free Vacs opening a mile away near entrance to Walmart Supercenter. Anyone have any ideas on adjustments, marketing ideas, etc. to compete effectively. I am in a town of 25,000 population. My washes are 4$,$5,$6,$7. I expect they will price at $5, $7 and $9. Any advice would be appreciated

mattman

Reaction score
Here are some ideas:
-Add free vacuum token dispensers to your touchless automatics. Both Hamilton & American Changer have one.
-If you have room add more vacuums.
-If you don't take credit cards start & consider upgrading to high speed internet approval for 3 second approval.
-If you don't offer anything for wheel cleaning consider adding CTA's to apply wheel cleaner as the cars drive into your automatic. The tunnel will probably do better than you on wheels so this very important.
-Consider adding a Total Car Protectant to your top wash.
-Market that you are touchess and make sure your presoak is dialed in and titrated.

Good Luck!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'm in Birmingham, I have express washes about 4 miles on either side of me. Fortunately, traffic is thick here and the round trip can easily cost you thirty minutes of your time. Express washes have just about blanketed the city and have skimmed the cream off wash revenues for most operators. Between that and the general downturn in business some operators are really struggling. I know of two more expresses being built in town this year, but no SS/IBAs that I know of. I think the golden era of SS washes is over here. I've been in the business for 15 years and will not build another one, at least not in the city.

Being thrifty is becoming en vogue again and the $5 wash is deal.
I don't know what SS wash prices are in your area but they are high here and the express wash is simply a better value. $2.00 for four muntes vs, clean dry with free vac for $5. As far as the IBA, my $5 wash is wet, but the higher cost washes come closer to the product offered by the expresses. As mentioned, In the IBA you gotta be on your game and keep the place neat as possible and the chemicals cooking the film off.

I originally planned to add free vac with the purchase of the top two washes but eventually decided against it. My lot is small, I only have four vacs with no room to add any more. To add perceived value I have added a wheel/ bug prep area and also have free use of drying towels. I also have a free rug beater. The positive comments I get from customers really make me feel like I am building loyalty. It might help minimize draining of your customer base to the express. Maybe you will pull enough away from competing SS/IBAs to help offset that. Good Luck

briteauto

Reaction score
I agree with both of the above posts - they have good suggestions.

A few questions - I understand you have two locations with tf's - are they both the same distance from the new express opening, or will one be in more direct competition than the other? If one is clearly in more direct competition, that might be a place to consider adding a second IBA - if this is an option - I don't mean to toss that around lightly like adding one vac or something like that - this is obviously a very serious consideration.

All the aforementioned suggestions will certainly address the quality of your product to align it more closely with what will probably be offered at an express, but you will still be struggling with the throughput issues of an IBA vs. a conveyor.

If your customer base embraces the tf wash, two machines with premium services, upgrades and higher throughput can be competetive with an express that will most proabably be a friction wash. Couple that with the fact that you will still be servicing the self serve customers as well.

This whole thing is a moot point however, if both of your locations will be equally impacted - unless you can add an IBA to each locaion!:)

washdoc58

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your thoughtful advice. I did not know Hamilton offered the bonus token dispensers and I was wondering if you had any advice regarding a wheel cleaning system?

Thanks again,

Greg Copeland

washdoc58

Reaction score
I had thought too about the "deal" aspect of this versus self serve. I certainly know I want be able to raise self serve prices for a long time to come. We are currently at $1.00 for 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

mattman

Reaction score
On the automatics that we have we only offer undercarriage on the top 2 washes so we linked the tire cleaner to the undercarriage output. If you have a spare output then you could add it to any wash. We leave the tire cleaner on the entire time the undercarriage is spraying. You can also add an extra treadle or photo eyes for operation if you need to.