What's new

IBA Dryer Upgrades

Etowah

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Problem: My current electrical capacity at the wash is tapped out, so adding additional dryers is not an option. I have a DryerPros arch with 2 oscillating top dryers at 15 HP a piece. I would like to add some "side" drying to really up the value of the wash, but DryerPros does not have any options.

Solution: I like the way Proto-Vest utilizes their side bags and was curious if there was a way to modify or add what they have to my oscillating top dryers.

Any ideas?

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
We had a similar issue at a wash where we didn't have enough power. It was really the inrush of energy required to start all the fans that gave us trouble. Once they were running we were fine. I wonder if you installed VFD's to solve your issue. The variable frequency drives could be set to start your fans over a 10 second time period which could eliminate the high inrush current. If you're adding more fans to your building it also a good idea to check with your power utility. We've added fans and didn't tell them and didn't know they undersized their fuses at the street and on busy days we would blow them. We thought since we had a 600amp main breaker we must have up to 600amps from the street. We found out the hard way that it is not usually the case. You should consult with an electrician too.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Tom. I also went through and added delay on make timers to the fans to help with the initial draw. Do you think adding VFD's would allow me to get to the point where I could add (2) 10 HP side dryers with only having a 100 amp breaker?

mac

Reaction score
With a "soft start" version you completely eliminate any high inrush amperage. I think the motors have to be able to dance with them though.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
If you're at 208v service your 15hp typically draw 48.3 amps each and 10hp is 32.2 amps each. You're not going to make it with a 100amp circuit breaker. If you're at 480v you would be at 21 amps for the 15hp's and 14 amps for the 10hp's.

We have never changed motor and bought "inverter duty" types for our VFD's. I really think that only applies if you're running the motors at a dramatically slower speed under a significant load. Some motors use a powered fan to cool the motor in those types of applications.