What's new

Ideas for locking pit grates

Rudy

Reaction score
I've always locked my metal pit grates. I've used long shank keyed padlocks in the past.....but it's hard to get more than a year out of them. The car wash chemicals are just too rough on them....and I usually just end up cutting them off and replacing them.

At 10-15 bucks apiece....I've just chalked it up to the cost of having my pits pumped.

Any other clever ideas out there?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Switch to fibrerglass perhaps? Depending on your pit size, you might have to add some metal supports.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
In the past I've just bolted them down with a long enough chain so they can be removed from the hole for pit cleanout. That seemed to stop them from getting stolen.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would run a chain through a concrete block and attatch it to each grate. Throw the block down in a clean pit and let the mud cover it. As cfcw said, leave enough chain so you can remove them. I would think this would thwart 99% of the thieves since those of this mentality are planning to grab and go, not be prepared to cut them loose.

chiggybite

Reaction score
I weld a chain to mine and anchor it to the inside of the pit. Easy to move for clean out and haven't had one stolen since.