What's new

laserwash won't dial out

raisetheprice

Reaction score
My laserminds won't ring my cell phone and I don't think they are dialing anything. Everything is set exactly the same way as my location that is working.

Checked the phone line (good), swapped the modems with other machines at a different location that are working (good), but I've still got 2 laserminds tied to the same working phone line that won't ring my cell phone. Says 'failed' after 3 tries of dialing out on each machine. I put the phone line into my phone on one lasermind and with the phone to my ear I test the other machine. No dialing heard.

What do I check next?

lag

Reaction score
Verify you have a live phone line to the controllers, unplug the line out of the controllers,and check them there,with a tester,or a phone. The phone line is usually the issue.

Next unhook 1 of the controllers,and try dialing out, then unhook the other,and try dialing out. I also have multiple lasers on 1 line ,and if one is ties up the line none can get out.

Try 100 enter 94 (sorry I am guessing could be 95) that is pager reset code.

If you have A5000 there is also a couple smaller chips that come in a modem kit. Any lightening lately?

Because both are not dialing out, check the phone line first,then try to narrow it down to one or the other.

I think you have checked ,but do both have a number to dial out programmed in them.

That is all I can think of right now.

newboy

newbot
Reaction score
generally when the modem quits working you will need to change two small diodes. they are available from radio shack. i do not remember where they are llocated. j collins is the one who alerted me on this repair. maybe he will respond to your post. good luck

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Actually they haven't dialed in quite some time...I've just been relying on cameras to watch them, but obviously can't stare at my computer all day when I'm away from the wash. Lightening was one of my thoughts because both of them act the same way...'failure to dial'. And yes the phone line is clear, working and I use it on one of the pay stations too, so I know it works. I have noticed 2 diodes in a little plastic bag taped to the inside of the lasermind, spares for something obviously.

jcollins

Reaction score
As lag suggests, first thing verify the phone line is good to the CPU. Unplug the phone line from the CPU and plug it into a phone, try to call a local number.

If the phone line is good, turn power off the J-O cabinet and take the cover off the CPU. In the upper right corner of the printed circuitry board there's two 10 ohm resistors. If you've had a surge/lightning strike, these resistors will probably be burnt. Unplug the modem on the left of these resistors and unplug the phone line plugged in on the right side. Should be able to read right at 10 ohms of resistance across each one of these resistors. Also check for continuity between these resistors and the metal of the CPU cabinet (ground), there is a lightning arrester that could be grounded.
That's about $2500-$3000 worth of each CPU there so be very cautious in there! If your not comfortable using a soldiering iron, it may be safer to verify there is a problem with the modem circuit inside the CPUs and if so, send them in to PDQ for repair.

jcollins

Reaction score
.....the spare resistors inside the cover do not go to the modem circuit.

galen

Reaction score
.....the spare resistors inside the cover do not go to the modem circuit.
As John has said, this repair will most likly get you going. I have done this repair but it is not that easy. Tiny resistors desodered then resodered. I accidently layed my big fat hand on the cold boot button and guess what? Had to call PDQ, get a systems option number again, enter in all infor for all washes, plumbing option number, pager setup, wash prices, how many children by my first marrage. That crap I didn't think was necessary. So be VERY careful to not touch the cold boot button. When working on the other cpu, I was more careful. Also, put a ground strap on your wrist.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
As John has said, this repair will most likly get you going. I have done this repair but it is not that easy. Tiny resistors desodered then resodered. I accidently layed my big fat hand on the cold boot button and guess what? Had to call PDQ, get a systems option number again, enter in all infor for all washes, plumbing option number, pager setup, wash prices, how many children by my first marrage. That crap I didn't think was necessary. So be VERY careful to not touch the cold boot button. When working on the other cpu, I was more careful. Also, put a ground strap on your wrist.
I think I could tackle this job, I've soldered many times before. However, I'm not familar with a ground strap for my wrist.