What's new

Lights turning on then off????

diycarwash

Reaction score
I have a few light fixtures that turn on and then turn back off. Put new bulbs in, but the problem still exists. Do you think I need to get a complete ballast kit for them or is there something else it can be?
Thanks,
David

Eric H

Reaction score
I usually find that replacing just the capacitor fixes it. It is sometimes difficult to find just a capacitor so a lot of times I end up doing the ballast too.

washtubman

Reaction score
Are your lights on timers or photo eyes? I tried my MH fixtures on photo eyes and they would turn off and on. Could'nt get the eye adjusted so they would'nt do that, so I put them back on timers and no problems since.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've only seen that happen on metal halide fixtures where the wrong bulb was in use.

What kind of fixtures are they?

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I had this happen on a couple of MH lamps when I installed cheap bulbs. I have been using GE or sylvania since then and have not had any problems.

diycarwash

Reaction score
These a bulbs I bought on ebay. TopStar is the brand. The fixtures are the LSI 320W pulse starts. The bulbs are 320W pulse start also.

MEP001

Reaction score
I got GE brand bulbd from 1000bulbs.com last time - they're rated for 20,000 hours, so even though they cost 50% more, they last twice as long and therefore are cheaper.

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I use the Sylvania 320 watt pulse-start Metal Halide bulbs from Kleen-Rite.
$30.99 ea. I have never had a problem with them and they are very white light. I use them horizontal in my Scottsdale fixtures.
item # LIB320 at Kleen-Rite.

Some other brands of bulbs do not work properly horizontally, I had a fried who was driving himself crazy trying to fix the lights....all it was was the bulbs.