What's new

Mini Express or Full EE

chiggybite

Reaction score
I currently own a 4 and 1 that we are considering tearing down and replacing with a 120' EE. The cost to do that will be between 1.4 to 1.6 mil. Does anyone know what the approximent cost would be to just take down the touchless and pit up an 80' mini express. Also has anyone added a mini express and what is the downside, What kind of revenue does it generate??
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
There are a ton of things to consider. #1 of course is return n investment. In Chicago I really have to laught at people who put up 60 foot and 80 foot tunnels when they have the room to make the building longer. They have a tough time staying open below 20degrees . Anothr mistake is just because you have a long tunnnel, immediately spending a ton of $ to fill it with equipment. You can spend less but plan aahed to add more later. For instance 2 mitters and one set of wraps allowing room fr a third mitter andmore wraps later. A 3 or 4 unit blower allowing room to ad 3 or 4 units later.

7 foot roller spacing can be changed to 3" 6" later.

Allow room for more lower detail or high side wheels as well as more high pressure equpment later. Until volume requires you just run the conveyor more slowly and you can get a clean/ dry car with less equipment.

Make sure the controller has enough functions to handle later equipment addittions.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I just did this. I took out my touchless auto last year and replaced it with an 85' tunnel.

It is only worth it if your market is deep enough to capitalize on the increased throughput. Also remember that your chemical bill and utility bills will be much higher for the tunnel.

PM me if you want to know more details.

briteauto

Reaction score
Here is an example of an actual operating 70' conveyor/equipment package. Check out the components you can get into this space. Like Earl said, you will not have much, if any, room to expand in the future if you need to. I don't think this one even has a blower unit yet.

http://www.carwashconsignment.com/wiki/CWC/MacNeil

#MCN204

A tunnel this length might be sufficient for your needs, but if there is any chance of growth beyond this, you are stuck.

Last edited:

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Like Earl said, there is a lot to consider.

For example, when convenience store owners select a drink fountain, they begin with sizing and consider geographic location, space configuration and customer volume.

A 4 + 1 built using this process would imply the market may not be particularly strong for automated washing. Otherwise, you would think something else would have been built.

If the plan is a 120’ conveyor, this would mean you are anticipating at least 75,000 washes or more annually. If you are not, a 120’ conveyor would be a mistake.

If you anticipate the need to wash, say, 30,000 vehicles annually, a mini-tunnel or in-bay express might make sense.

I have a client in the Midwest that just converted from in-bay to express wash, no downsides.

Revenue depends on market and management.

Some developers build inexpensively in lower income areas and aim low, $3.00 to $10. You might average $7 a wash and would need to wash a lot of cars.

If you take the high road, an average of $10 is very doable.

Etowah