What's new

new brushes

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I just replaced my first set of brushes in a vac motor. I know this is old hat to most of you guys but being electrically challanged I am very proud of myself. It was very easy. I'm wondering if it was too easy. Is all you do pull out the old stub and put in the new one? Is that likely to fix the motor? They were obviously shot.
Thanks
J

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just did a set last week. Removed dome from vac. Plastic cover snaps off motor top. Pull old brushes out. Use tool provided with new brush set to press down spring in motor while you slide in new brush. Replace motor cover and dome. Done.

Yes, these wear out and you should always keep a few sets on hand.

MEP001

Reaction score
Rather than wait for the brushes to wear out, you should implement a schedule and go through all your vacs to replace them. Most of the time when a brush wears out, it burns the rotor where it contacts, and the motor is ruined. If you haven't put the motor in service, take it apart again and check the copper surface inside for burning.

jjw

Reaction score
First shut off power to VAC. Second make sure you have a fuse on each VAC motor (15 A). Third buy a quality motor, Lamb. I can get about three brush changes before the armature wears out on a Lamb. The old GSE was good for two or three changes, the newer GSE don't buy and if you have one just take the copper out of it and scrap it. When ever I put a motor in service I write the date of installation on the motor. Have a good day. jjw

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Jimmy, when I replace brushes or motor I replace all brushes in the other motor on the same vac. It keep them from wearing out at irregular schedules and increases overall reliability.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Do I have the option of using other brands of motors? I just ordered replacements that look like my old ones. They are the new style GS (brushes with just a copper strand). If I change brands do I need to change both motors?
Thx

MEP001

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to as far as function, but the vac might be noisier since the two different motors will spin at different speeds.