What's new

One Soap for Everything???

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could the same high ph detergent be used in varying concentrations for IBA presoak as well as HP soap and Foamy Brush on the Self Serve side?

I'd love more cleaning power in my HP SS and FB SS functions. I know my IBA presoak has plenty of cleaning power. The scent would have to be added, but from what I understand, this is now a viable option (adding scent and having it mix properly).

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
Of course you can!!! There are many operators that do this. I believe that the superstat distributors really push to use their products on both self serve and autos. There are two different ways to go about it. One is to use a hydrominder with a tank, and the other is to use an inline injector. I would reccomend the hydrominder and tank.

Reaction score
The supersat system can be adjusted for both strength and show if you would like contact me and we can talk about the system

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't see the point in having more cleaning power in the foam brush soap; in fact I'd prefer to have as little as possible since there's less chance of damage to a finish if the soap dries. What I use is little more than a lightly scented and colored foam agent, and I give lots of foam volume.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
My preference is to run a mild, foamy foam brush like MEP suggests. My belief, that the purpose of the foam brush, is to help emulsify the presoak, ( keep the presoak in contact with the car), and to provide friction to assist in the cleaning of the car. IMO, the foam brush should be neutral, as close to 7 PH as possible.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Waxman,
I use the same presoak and tire cleaner in both my IBA and SS.(SuperSat)
been doing for several years with good success.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What I want to see is cleaning power at the foamy brush!!! Not a car covered with 'holidays' when it leaves.

There's got to be a middle ground between drying problems and no cleaning power.

I've been messing around and mixing some IBA soap into HP and FB on SS to see what happens.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're talking about clean "swirls" left after brushing, I doubt that a stronger soap will change that. If the soap alone would get it clean, there would be no need for the foam brush at all.

I use the same presoak on the IBA and self serve, and I could probably use it as high pressure soap as well but it would likely be too expensive. I've not seen any issues or heard any complaints that cars aren't getting clean enough with the foam brush - could your bay soap be too weak?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The HP soap may be too weak, but I get alot of visual soap as well as scent.

Is that what you mean?

MEP001

Reaction score
I mean the cleaning strength. Can you get a very dirty car relatively clean with only high pressure, or is the HP soap mostly show and fragrance? The stuff I use is stronger than some wash's presoak, so it cleans.

I think that instead of looking to fix the foam brush which really isn't broken, you should be looking to fix your presoak and HP soap. Give 'em some kick-ass cleaning presoak and they'll use it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! I think that's what I need to do is amp up the HP soap cleaning power.

The answer is 'no', my current hp soap will no get a dirty car clean all by itself.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have owned my wash for over a year now and I haven't used the FB on my truck at all. I look at it like this, I should be able to clean my car without any friction, just chemicals. If my customer wanted to use friction, they would go to the tunnel right down the street from me. I want my customers to be able to see the chemicals working. If they decide to use the FB, that is their option, not a requirement for getting their vehicle clean.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Bubbles-

What chemical company do you use for this? Hope it doesn't contain HF if so then yeah who would need to use a foam brush.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I know a couple of operators that add tire cleaner to their FB detergent in the winter months. They use Enough tire clean to total about 25% of concentrate. My brand of soap lost its' scent when I tried it last year though.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
CFCW

what's your thought on losing some scent. I know people love good scents, but do they love cleaning power more?

Have you tried the scent you add in? I saw a new one in a magazine by Arcadia or JBS I think...

MEP001

Reaction score
I use JBS fragrance additive for our wax and foam brush. I mix a "hyper" foam brush with a foaming agent to dilute the color (it stains even at 600:1) and add back some strawberry smell.

I don't know how much people really care about show and smell if it works. I know there are products out there that can produce lots of foam, color and fragrance and have no cleaning power at all. I try to give as much of both as I can, but I would never sacrifice cleaning for an illusion of quality.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You need to be careful with an add-in scent. It is best if you can inject it in line rather than simply adding it to the mixed solution. Some scents might cause problems of separation, reduce foaming or even affect the color of the foam.

MEP001

Reaction score
rph9168 said:
You need to be careful with an add-in scent. It is best if you can inject it in line rather than simply adding it to the mixed solution. Some scents might cause problems of separation, reduce foaming or even affect the color of the foam.
I did think of that and tested before I added fragrance to the raw product. I've had some products that didn't like it (The Simoniz tri-foam with UV protection would no longer mix with water after adding fragrance), but most weren't affected at all.