What's new

Opening the first car wash

newton.21

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a recent college grad and car washes have a passion of mine. I worked at a full service through high school. I am interested in a self service 3-5 bay wash in the Dayton, Ohio area. I was wondering the typical capital requirements as well as positives and negatives about the day to day operations of the wash. By that I mean the time is takes each day to operate the wash. Also what kind of margins should I expect? I am an accountant, so if there are any accountant types please be as specific as possible as to the numbers. Thanks!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I built my wash (my first) a few years ago, before fully utilizing and discovering this forum.

I had planned for it about 5 years prior, but it didn't pan out then for several reasons.

I also have been in business with a free standing detail shop for over 15 years.

I'd say go and get a part time job at the wash you'd like to buy or similar and see for yourself, first hand, what it actually takes to even handle daily operations. If your passion is still alive after a full year as an attendant, pursue the idea of buying the wash.

There are several good posts on here, as well as trade magazines , books, and articles available to study this idea, just as you would study for college courses.

Since you're a recent college grad, I'm sure you're very smart and studious and a hard worker; that's good, because this is a tough business and you will need these qualities and more to succeed in it.

Good luck and welcome to the Autocareforum!

jwfox369

Reaction score
I love reading the WAXMAN's replies. He says it best! I am a high school grad. A little college and I just built my first car wash. A 3-1 from start to finish. Please keep in mind that this is not a business to start and think that it will support you and all the bills. You will want time off and need to pay someone to attend it while you are away. If you go with the SBA, they make it even harder for a start up business to get ahead and survive. The only advise I can give is just like WAXMAN said. Go seek a job at a local car wash and experiance it yourself first hand.

Good Luck