What's new

Price increase % on P&L

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
In January 2024, I raised my SS wash price from $3 for 5 minutes to $4 for 5 minutes. 33% increase. I'm in the process of selling my car wash and the potential buyers and my real estate agent are telling me that this 33% price increase should be showing at least 33% increase on the Total Income on my P&L (compared to last year). And, it's not. So, far I'm showing a 17% increase over last year ($50K). But they're telling me that my business went down 16% (33% - 17%). I disagree! My car wash is beautiful, modern and busier than ever. I'm not an accountant and waiting to hear back from my CPA. I know the 33% price increase is going to increase the Total Income on my P&L, but I don't think it's going to directly correlate to a 33% increase in Total Income. Your thoughts??

MudMoney

Reaction score
I'm blunt with realtors and future buyers of this haggling back and forth. This is my price and it's fair ,there is no reduction in price. Realtors only have self interest and moving on to the next victim.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
In January 2024, I raised my SS wash price from $3 for 5 minutes to $4 for 5 minutes. 33% increase. I'm in the process of selling my car wash and the potential buyers and my real estate agent are telling me that this 33% price increase should be showing at least 33% increase on the Total Income on my P&L (compared to last year). And, it's not. So, far I'm showing a 17% increase over last year ($50K). But they're telling me that my business went down 16% (33% - 17%). I disagree! My car wash is beautiful, modern and busier than ever. I'm not an accountant and waiting to hear back from my CPA. I know the 33% price increase is going to increase the Total Income on my P&L, but I don't think it's going to directly correlate to a 33% increase in Total Income. Your thoughts??
It's not. There can be a multitude of reasons for not seeing the full 33% increase in revenue. Regardless of some of the spin you see the economy is not strong. It can be easily argued that cost of living has increased by 20-30% in the last 4 years. That alone will lead to people washing their cars less frequently. It's a discretionary purchase. Weather plays a factor. Some people, I'm sure, saw the price increase and either went somewhere else or are washing less frequently. Another way to spin it is you increased revenue by 17% and reduced wear and tear on the equipment by 16%.

AND

If that is your agent, fire them. They are not looking out for your best interest.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
A 33% price increase will not translate into a 33% increase in top-line revenue. If your "realtor" is saying this to you, you've hired the wrong person. You need a broker representing you that understands small businesses.

To illustrate the point further, if you theoretically raised your prices 100% (or even 500%), you would not receive a 100% (or 500%) increase in total revenue, right? A certain % of your customers would not come back or patronize your business less frequently, resulting in a less than 100% increase in revenue.

A 17% increase in revenue from a 33% price increase sounds about right.

I just sold one of my washes last month so I just went through this.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In January 2024, I raised my SS wash price from $3 for 5 minutes to $4 for 5 minutes. 33% increase. I'm in the process of selling my car wash and the potential buyers and my real estate agent are telling me that this 33% price increase should be showing at least 33% increase on the Total Income on my P&L
Either they are dingbats or BSing you.

Roz

Reaction score
At end of the day the buyer is going to look at the multiple of revenue or the CAP rate, and decide if it is enough of a return for them and if any additional investment is necessary for the place to remain competitive.

Curious what multiple of revenue or cap rate you seek or are discussing. I am considering the sale of one of my locations after being approached and I have heard multiple recommendations all over the spectrum. I am trying to decide on the listing group between 4 contender's. Never a scientific process. with respect to the price increase you cannot assume an increase will generate more revenue as the last several years where crazy for all. That’s why most buyers/sellers look at the last three years of numbers to smooth out the numbers and see the revenue range.

Good luck. You and the buyer need to feel good about the sale.

sjb

Reaction score
They are trying to bamboozulle you with some California Math… don’t get swayed from your position. This is your deal!

I would bet you have one of the nicest and most efficiently run SS washes in the game…

How close is your closest competitors….?

Do you think the local government would even allow a new wash to be built in your area…. ?

What does your crystal ball say the revenue/net could be in 5 or 10 years…. How about 20 years…?

Over 100,000 cars go by every day… that’s a staggering number!

I think your new sals price needs to begin with a “3”!!

Best of luck!
sjb

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
You and the buyer's appraiser are probably going to want to use my wash that I just sold as a comp.

DM me to discuss if that comes up.

Aurora

Reaction score
You're right that a 33% price increase won't always lead to a 33% rise in total income. Factors like customer behavior, competition, seasonal variations, and service quality play a role. Customers might wash their cars less frequently due to the higher price, affecting overall sales. It's great that you're consulting your CPA for a clearer analysis, as they can help you understand the dynamics at play in your specific situation.

edredtop

Reaction score
The missing part of this equation is a car count imho.
As an example: (pretending you only wash cars and there's no vacs or vend) If you washed 100,000 cars last year and made $300,000 (100,000 x $3) and raised your prices to $4 this year, your buyers are expecting to see $400,000 in sales this year (100,000 x $4) and if you miss that mark it means less cars washed than the previous year. Yes, you may be showing an increase in sales but to them, they see the reduction in wash volume (car count).
There's no question you did the right thing because of your increased gross.
Fwiw, and understanding everybody's circumstances are different,
I've flipped a bunch of condos and houses and the one thing I've learned is don't let anybody instill FUD in your mind. Be willing to walk away from any deal that makes you uncomfortable or doesn't meet your expectations. Be gracious, thank everybody for their time and consideration and move on. The buyer wants a deal and will exploit any weaknesses they can find to achieve that goal and your realtor doesn't get paid unless you close so they will try to apply pressure too, albeit more subtly than a buyer would. Whenever I've had trouble selling a property I have raised the price on the listing to show strength and confidence in my position and it's worked every time.
You have a beautiful operation, the equivalent of an In-N-Out Burger, be willing to pass on a less than optimal deal if at all possible.
Good luck Kim!