What's new

Procon Pump on Laser 4000

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced extremely quick failure of their Procon on the low pressure pump. I'm changing one every 3 months or so, due to leaking out the front.

What is a better pump to use for low pressure applicatin of p/s and foaming wax?

Thanks.

MC

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Yes there is another pump that is much better. For setups that use hot water the procon is no good. I switched to sta-rite pumps and haven't had another problem. They're the long slender looking pumps like probably your RO system has. I think my oldest one is 4 years old.

MEP001

Reaction score
Does the flat cover of the pump bulge out when it starts leaking? If so, it's failing because high-pressure is getting back to it.

escapement

Reaction score
Investing in the Sta-rite pump is the way to go. Procon pumps fail on a regular basis, often releasing debris into the system that clogs the injectors.

You should definitely also make sure you're not getting high pressure backflow into the low pressure side, but I would make the Sta-rite upgrade a priority regardless of whether or not this is happening.

More than likely, once you get the Sta-rite you will get years of trouble free operation out of it.

Wally

Reaction score
I learned the hard way about the procons on a Laser with hot water. PDQ didn`t put a Y-strainer after the pump and one failed and the veins in the pump came apart and sent trash into everything down stream. I now have a stra-rite with a Y-strainer after it.

John Spokas

Reaction score
What size/model Sta-Rite are you guys replacing the Laserwash Procons with?

galen

Reaction score
Yes, I would like to know also. I just replaced my procon. Tired of doing so.

dreese

dreese
Reaction score
FYI - your PDQ distributor would have a kit available to convert older L4000's to the current (impeller style) solution pump.

Wally

Reaction score
I used a Teel #2P019A 3/4 hp. I had this thing collecting dust in the basement. Take the motor and the procon out and bolt a short piece of 2x8 to the frame where the old pump was then bolt the Teel to the board hook up the wires and a short piece of hose. I feed mine with 130 degree water and have had no problems.

H2Oman

Reaction score
procon replacement

my experience as a tech is that if the screens in the tank are either missing or torn, the debris will cause premature failure. The Sta-Rite kit from PDQ comes with the brackets needed to convert from the Procon. These brackets make it really easy to install the new pump with clearance around other pumps. Sites that have replaced the Procon with the Sta-Rite have not had any trouble since. Good Luck.

galen

Reaction score
Who is this this H2O man? How many people has he saved? Is he just a comic book caricature, or a real life hero? God bless you H2Oman!

H2Oman

Reaction score
No, not a super hero! just a regular guy who enjoys repairing washes! Hope I was of some help.