What's new

Reclaim / Softner

wolfe

PDQ Wolfe
Reaction score
My reclaim system is plumbed to go thru the media in the softner, the water in is fairly clean. Anyone have a set up like this? How long does the media last using dirty water ? Should a bypass be involved? This is all new equipment. Anyone??

Bob Koo

Reaction score
I would definitely plumb in a bypass in the scenario you are describing. You have stated this is new equipment. Car Wash and Reclaim? The softener is normally used to remove calcium and magnesium from fresh water as a pretreatment mechanism for chemical application and/or a reverse osmosis unit. Are you trying to operate this facility in a closed loop scenario? I could understand a carbon filter or organics removal, but a softener?

Your question is a good one. I've never heard of a site setup like this? Hope you keep everyone informed on the wash quality in your site

mac

Reaction score
Something really sounds strange here. If it is connected as you describe, there are only two explanations. The installers either connected things wrong, or you have some new advanced system that, I expect, will soon crash on you. Normally the reclaim system will clean the water to the point where you can reuse it for non important functions, such as undercarraige spray. Putting the reclaim water through the softener will shorten its life, probably dramatically. If it doesn't, let us know what you have.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
With a reclaim system installed, only the new (city or well) water coming into the building should be run throgh the softener. It is probably best to contact the manufacturer of your reclaim system to confirm this however with quite a few years in the industry, I've never seen a softener fed with reclaim water. Typically if you fill your reclaim tanks with soft water at start up and soften all new incoming water, the reclaim will remain soft.