What's new

Repairing an exposed floor heat line

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I have a 6" section of floor heat line near the grate in the middle of the bay which has surfaced and is exposed. The floors are 25 years old. It looks as though I am going to have to chisel out around it and tuck it back down. What can I use that will grip well and set up fast to cover it?

Parker

Reaction score
you can use water plug.... it comes in a powder that you mix with water much like cement. It also dries fairly quickly and even in wet conditions. You can find it at just about any hardware store....

washnvac

Reaction score
I use Rockite, from any hardware store. Sets hard in 15-20 minutes. It is a powder, mix with water. Repairs seem to hold really well.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
regular concrete will shrink slightly as it cures. Hydraulic cement on the other hand expands slightly which provides a better grip and no "crack" around the edges. It's what I use for concrete repairs, havent had any problems yet. (disclaimer: I am NOT a masonry contractor!)

(FYI, I think the "water plug" mentioned is simply a branded hyraulic cement)

dclark3344

Reaction score
I would not mess with the chiseling it out for fear of damaging. I have used a 2 part putty that I got at the swimming pool store made for patching and sealing cracks in swimming pools that you can use under water, or get the 2 part epoxy that 3M makes and patch over it.