What's new

Ryko Presoak & Chemicals

Etowah

calcar

Reaction score
Has anyone used the new Ryko presoak for touchfree. It is supposed to be one product vs. 1 lo and 1 hi. Does it work well? Is it cost effective? Do you still do 2 seperate passes? My local ryko office is in turmoil because of some employee turnover. They seem to mainly focus on gas stations and do not seem all that interested in helping me run a profitable carwash. I am trying Simoniz products out right now. I also have a brochure from a local Lustra guy whom I have not called. I like the ryko products but the cost vs. support is crazy. They charge 247.00 for 15 gal drum of presoak. Simoniz is 259.00 for a 55 gallon. Then when Ryko delivers the chemicals and I ask them to look at something they want to charge me a 168.00 trip fee. Any suggestion from Ryko owners that us other chemicals would be appreciated.

Mitch

Reaction score
Sounds like you didn't ask enough questions before you did business with your distributor. If you are buying chemicals from your equipment supplier, then they should help you with little problems that you are having. Do they deliver out of a service vehicle? Mine has gone as far as replacing swivels and hoses on the automatic without any charge. You should pay a little more for your supplies from your distributor, but he should do his part to make the trip to your shop a little more than just a delivery. Is your equip under warranty?

calcar

Reaction score
I asked plenty of questions just not all the right ones. The wash is out of warranty for labor, I still have 2 months on parts. The service techs deliver the chemicals. I got free chemicals with the wash but have used all those. My intent was to stick with ryko chems for a while but when I found out they would charge a trip fee for repairs even if they were delivering chemicals I decided to start looking for someone new.

calcar

Reaction score
Yes I believe ssupreme clean is correct as I said my ryko guys are not all together so I have not heard much about it.

calcar

Reaction score
In Maryland. No website. I saw yours I see we have similar setups and equipment. I have a softgloss XS and a Radius as well as 3 ss bays. I akso see you are in Iowa close to the Ryko HQ.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Yep we are right across the street from Ryko Mfg, I am currently using Ryko Supreme Clean it does a good job, we pay $6.27 a gallon to refill our bulk tank. I am also experimenting with a new 2 step Ryko is creating it too does a good job but my main problem is windshield mask I "do believe" Ryko is addressing this concern and I will be the testing facility being we are so close and have real-life customers not engineering vehicles.

Mitch

Reaction score
I am sorry, Calcar, I did not mean to imply that you were not a good shopper. This formum is an invaluable tool in helping all of us know the right questions to ask, but, for most investors, it seems that it is after the purchase that they get plugged in. The approach to buying or building a car wash should be a long process, but for many it is more impulse than purpose. This can be risky business, and those that are more informed succeed. This has turned out to be more of a thank you note to all posters on this forum because they have helped me tremendously, but if I offended you, I am sorry.

ibspuds

Reaction score
I used to use Ryko chemicals exclusively on my two OHD 2001 until I started figuring cost. I changed over to Stanhardt chemicals and have been extremely happy with its results. I just added a RainX option and use Stanhardt's Magic Bond. I only wish I could run an additional rinse pass after I apply it prior to the SFR.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
ibspuds- is your OHD doing the following at this portion of the wash process:

Surface Sealant Pass - Rear to Front
Fresh Water Rinse - Front to Rear
Spot Free Rinse - Rear to Front

I can't remember if you said earlier if you have a "Code a Wash" if so this can be fixed with a couple yes/no option changes

mac

Reaction score
Calcar, you have nailed the operating scheme of the ryko rep. Probably 95% of their business is with the oil companies. Their chemicals have historically been overpriced. Try some Blendco and be done with drums, plus you'll get cleaner cars.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Many if not most chemical suppliers will send someone to set up your wash with their product and provide samples to do so. If you make note of your prior settings you can always switch back w/out it costing you anything. Often the disty's get used to the oil companies not paying attention to how hard they are screwing them and forget that we independents are paying attention. These are the same guys that wanted you too pay the $1500 every 3 months to pump your pits? I'd say you need to start shopping for a new supplier for chemicals, parts and service.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Maryland is a factory direct area and they have made a few personal changes in the last six months. One of my best techs moved to the area because of his wifes job, he is back working for Ryko. Chemical delivery is FREE! If you have work that needs to be done and they are delivering chemicals, you should not be charged a travel fee. I would also ask about the best price they can give you on Supreme Clean, the price you quoted is alot more than what we charge in our area. We have changed almost all of our two step sites to the Supreme Clean single stage chemical and every site has seen an improvement in wash quality. If you need help, let me know and I will call someone in your area.
Thanks,
Mark

calcar

Reaction score
I am sorry, Calcar, I did not mean to imply that you were not a good shopper. This formum is an invaluable tool in helping all of us know the right questions to ask, but, for most investors, it seems that it is after the purchase that they get plugged in. The approach to buying or building a car wash should be a long process, but for many it is more impulse than purpose. This can be risky business, and those that are more informed succeed. This has turned out to be more of a thank you note to all posters on this forum because they have helped me tremendously, but if I offended you, I am sorry.
Thank for your reply I am not or was not offended. You are correct if I had known about this forum before I built this wash I would have done things much differently. I appreciate everyone's input and hope that I can help others in the future, once I learn something.

calcar

Reaction score
Maryland is a factory direct area and they have made a few personal changes in the last six months. One of my best techs moved to the area because of his wifes job, he is back working for Ryko. Chemical delivery is FREE! If you have work that needs to be done and they are delivering chemicals, you should not be charged a travel fee. I would also ask about the best price they can give you on Supreme Clean, the price you quoted is alot more than what we charge in our area. We have changed almost all of our two step sites to the Supreme Clean single stage chemical and every site has seen an improvement in wash quality. If you need help, let me know and I will call someone in your area.
Thanks,
Mark
Chemical Delivery is free you are correct. However I was charged a trip fee the last time they delivered chemicals because I had service work done. When I got the invoice I called and disputed it and was told that is Ryko policy. The tech said "If I turn a wrench you get charged a trip fee" he then said I could call Iowa and they would say the same thing. If you know who I could speak to about these issues please send me a name. Right now if you call the office all you get is a tech on a cellphone

calcar

Reaction score
Many if not most chemical suppliers will send someone to set up your wash with their product and provide samples to do so. If you make note of your prior settings you can always switch back w/out it costing you anything. Often the disty's get used to the oil companies not paying attention to how hard they are screwing them and forget that we independents are paying attention. These are the same guys that wanted you too pay the $1500 every 3 months to pump your pits? I'd say you need to start shopping for a new supplier for chemicals, parts and service.
The pit quote was from US Filter not Ryko. Do you have any suggestions as to who I should call for a price. 1500.00 was for pumping out solids and liquids from 3 SS bays and 2 Auto's. How much should something like that cost? Thanks for your replies.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
The pit quote was from US Filter not Ryko. Do you have any suggestions as to who I should call for a price. 1500.00 was for pumping out solids and liquids from 3 SS bays and 2 Auto's. How much should something like that cost? Thanks for your replies.
Calcar, I own a 5-bay ss and 1 auto, I pay $75.00 per pit to clean. Different areas charge different rates, but $1500.00 seems high to me!

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Chemical Delivery is free you are correct. However I was charged a trip fee the last time they delivered chemicals because I had service work done. When I got the invoice I called and disputed it and was told that is Ryko policy. The tech said "If I turn a wrench you get charged a trip fee" he then said I could call Iowa and they would say the same thing. If you know who I could speak to about these issues please send me a name. Right now if you call the office all you get is a tech on a cellphone
I think you should call Iowa. I worked for Ryko direct for over 14 years and we did not charge trip/travel fees for chemical delivery/sevice calls. When I get to the office I will find the East coast direct area managers name or you can ask for the national service manager (Scott Mckernin, I am not sure of the spelling of Scott's last name), either one should be able to help. I would also ask for a reduction in chemical prices, even in a direct area they should be able to provide "national account" pricing to get your cost reasonable/competitive.
Thanks,
Mark

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Calcar,
Scott's last name is Mckernan. As you may know Arnold Tindale is the direct area manager (salesman) and Frank Mochak is the Eastern regional sales manager. One of the guys should be able to help you out with both issues.