What's new

Santoprene or Viton Flojet?

Easy Clean

4+1 Owner/Operator
Reaction score
I need to replace my old ARO pump for the tire cleaner. I want to go with the FloJet pump since I have had such good luck with it on my foamy brushes. I used the santoprene version for the foamy brush. Should I use the Viton one for the tire cleaner? Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
I keep a spare Viton pump on hand, which is easier than having to keep track of which pump I need for a particular application.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Same here. Viton only. The extra cost takes the worry out of having some one screw up the wrong one in the wrong application.

Randy

Reaction score
Why don?t you put in a electric Procon pump and be done with it. Don?t get me wrong the Flojet pump is a great littel pump but for the harsh chemicals we use a Procon pump. You can get more pressure out of the Procon pump I put one in about 14 years ago and I haven?t touched it since. I use a IDX MX-8 controller to start and stop the pump, it puts out around 150-175 psi. I still use the Flojet on my Foam brush system.

MEP001

Reaction score
Procons aren't nearly as hardy as they once were, and they almost never warranty a repair. For the cost of a Procon, motor and MX-8 you can buy three viton Flojets.

Randy

Reaction score
Yep Miles you probably can buy 3 Viton Flojet pumps for the price of a Procon pump set up. But I highly doubt that you can get 14 years of service from 3 Viton Flojet pumps. I installed a Procon pump at a friends wash on his Presoak system last winter, it still going strong. I think the secret is to run the pump in a flooded state, install a bypass back to the feed tank and have strainer in the pump supply. He liked it so well he put in the same set up on his Foam brush system using a smaller pump.

BlendMoney

Reaction score
The flo jet is a great pump and it is very easy to rebuild them. There should be NO issues using a santoprene pump for your tire cleaner. If you feel that your chemicals are too harsh for the application, maybe you should look at some chemicals that will not damage your equipment but will still get the job done.

MEP001

Reaction score
BlendMoney said:
There should be NO issues using a santoprene pump for your tire cleaner.
You should check into the compatibilities between Santoprene and various chemicals. There's a legitimate reason why they make Viton Flojets.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Same here. Viton only. The extra cost takes the worry out of having some one screw up the wrong one in the wrong application.
Earl you have the right idea. I ordered a spare Viton on Friday and will only use them from now on out. Thanks.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW, moisture kills Flo Jets. I have a sef dumping moisture trap in the line that feeds the flo jets as close as possible to the first pump.

The closer the better since air cools as it expands and moisture will condense out.

Last edited: