What's new

Sideways FRP?????

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Anyone mount FRP sideways? By that i mean that the pieces are usualy 4 ft wide by whaever length. The bottom area seems to take the biggest beating. Always thought about taking a 4 ft ide by longes length, maybe the length of the bay and mounting it sideways so you would need only 2 pieces the first 4 ft high and the second from 4 to 8 ft. That way when the bottom gets really beat you can just change that one.

What do you say ?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. My block almost looks untouched above 8 ft. It would make a rehab quite a bit easier.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I think there is a reason they run metal roofing and siding length wise on buildings. Overlapping and exposing as few edges as possible against running water seems to have benefits.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
That's what I am trying to figure out. With the sideways mounting you have water running down acroos the horizontal seem / T channel. However for a 20-24 foot run if you can get it in these lengths you would have one horizontal seem versus 4-5 Vertical ones.

Could any negative effects be minimized if instead of butting pannels with a T channel, you use a J Channel on the top and overlapped it a 1/2 inch over the bottom?

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Hiya, Earl:

FRP can be purchased in rolls 8'-10' high and in rolls as long as a bay ... or longer. That way there are no seams at all. It gets kinda tricky wrasslin' up onto the wall, but it does get done.

There's a nice example of that "uni-body" FRP technique at Spot Not Wash kinda sorta out your way west if Chi-town and several miles due north of the Convention Center. I saw it about a dozen years ago. Rather surprisingly, it laid real flat (no ripples) and had broad, horizontal stripes painted on it which also seemed to be holding up well.

How it looks now? I don't know ... but I'd be curious to hear of anyone else has seen it recently.

JJJ/SSCWN
-----------------------------
The poster formerly known

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Hiya, Earl:

FRP can be purchased in rolls 8'-10' high and in rolls as long as a bay ... or longer. That way there are no seams at all. It gets kinda tricky wrasslin' up onto the wall, but it does get done.

There's a nice example of that "uni-body" FRP technique at Spot Not Wash kinda sorta out your way west if Chi-town and several miles due north of the Convention Center. I saw it about a dozen years ago. Rather surprisingly, it laid real flat (no ripples) and had broad, horizontal stripes painted on it which also seemed to be holding up well.

How it looks now? I don't know ... but I'd be curious to hear of anyone else has seen it recently.

JJJ/SSCWN
-----------------------------
The poster formerly known
Jarrett,

There is another former Spot Not in Stevensville, MI that did the same thing. It was built in the early 80's. I have not seen it in several years. But last I did it still looked good.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
Used to

We used to have sheets that were 8 feet tall and ran the entire length of the bay. Had them all cut to order, and would just have one big ass sheet to cover a whole wall. I think we spent more in chiropractor bills than we did on plastic!!! That was 26 years ago...now we just have the 4x8 sheets and moldings.

A.J.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Well, aside from fewer seems with larger sheets, the issue had to do with the beating the lower portion seems to take versus the upper portion so that it could be freshened up by just replacing the lower 4 feet.

With one large sheet, if a small section gets messed up. you have a larger issue to deal with.