What's new

Smart Relay?

Etowah

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am looking at reworking my winter foam brush system and need to order a smart relay. I have been looking at the IDEC ones and am a little overwhelmed at all the different options. Could someone point me in the right direction as to a model number and some more specific information. In case you're wondering, this is what I am looking to do:

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
For about 5 years, my FB winterizer works with standard foam soap and windshield washer fluid.

The system uses an Idec Smartrelay, programmed to wait for the FB input from each individual bay.
IF? the temp output #2 from the Weepmizer is ON,
AND? the FB input is turned ON, the program waits for the FB input to go OFF.
Once the FB input goes OFF, the Smartrelay then energizes the ?anti-freeze" solenoid for that bay. The Smartrelay?s output is timed to allow the washer fluid to be pumped to the brush?anywhere from 8 seconds for the closest bay to 30 seconds for the far bays.

The program also energizes ALL of the Smartrelay?s outputs when the temperature drops to the setpoint of the Weepmizer for more than 5 minutes. This reduces consumption should the temperature hover at the setpoint. I believe I have the Weepmizer?s output #2 setpoint programmed to 35 degrees. The Weepmizer?s output #2 also turns on my trough blower and warm water circulator keeping the trough nice and toasty.

The system required a NC solenoid, a tee fitting, some ?? poly tubing and a check valve for each bay, plus a Flojet pump and pressure regulator set to 30psi. I draw the washer fluid from a 15 gallon drum. I already had the Weepmizer. The washer fluid injects into the FB liquid lines just before the tubes leave the equipment room.

I?ve had only 2 or 3 brushes freeze in the 5 years the system has been in operation. I use an average of 30 gallons of washer fluid per season?from Sam?s Club?about $1/gal.

It works great?much better than the original air-blow-out system or the water weep system (which resulted in very large icicles hanging from the brushes). And, I get great foam year round using the same foam brush juice and ratio.

Thanks for the help!

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Relay

A PLC might be an appropriate choice for you.

In my SS wash, I use a GSI-2 controller to handle a few things. It might work for your need as well.

http://www.gunnsys.com/

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I have Omron programmable relays that will do what you want. The best thing to do is keep this circuit as simple as possible. Since you are in Michigan, I can design a circuit for you and you can install it or we can install everything or a combination of both. Send me an email if you are interested. I have lots of used Omron programmable timers so I can give you a great price and since they last for ever, I can even give you a one year warranty on the relay! If you want to try and design the circuit yourself I can supply you with the manual for the relay, they are very versatile and have a wide range of supply voltage options (they work on 5VDC all the way to 240VAC without changing anything!). I have used these for over 18 years and the work flawlessly every time.
Thank you,
Mark

Last edited:
O

ONEcard

I use PLC's from Automation direct. The 05 series is 8 in 6 out and are easy to program but you need the software. i have some programs I've written in the past for customers weep systems. The 05 if is about $100.00 + shipping cost. If I've got what you want id be happy to pass it along

Zack:Dhttp://forum.autocareforum.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. The more I look at these smart relays and PLC's I realize how many practical applications they can have around the wash. You could almost run your entire wash with these.

O

ONEcard

Bubbles we do operate everything off a plc controller. Wash Bays , Credit cards, Vac U Vault systems we have even integrated an Air Dryer into a Fragramatics combo vac, just to name a few.

Whats great about a PLC is that you can change and modify the controller when features change at the wash and not have to buy a whole new electronic components (like a timer)

If you’d like to get a good idea on PLC programming I wrote an article in the Self Serve Car Wash News 4 Years ago I think. That gives a great over view on PLC’s and there usage. Jarrett has back issues you can still get I think. If not let me know I still have that article archived around here. Feel free to send me an mail if you’d like more help on PLC integration.

Zack

MEP001

Reaction score
O

ONEcard

The hardware is used for reading the card controling the equipment, operating large read out displays and voice. We have a PC based software package for card clearing and ONEcard operations.

Zack