What's new

So who gets a clean dry shiny car with an Inverted L auto??

carwashlifer

Reaction score
Just invested 300k on two washworld auto's. I am a long time tunnel and self serve owner(25years) and my standards of a clean car are high. (nothing like cloth). What are some hints from the laser or vector or washworld guys, about getting the road film off and putting out a pretty good car. I am a long time proponent of high ph first then low ph(but only high enough not to haze or streak old paint). So tell me how to get the best wash with a touchfree auto. I am very impressed with the Washworld machine, but chemistry and dwell etc. is what is important, it is the x factor.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
The X factor is chemicals. Touchless automatics work with water impact and chemicals. It's the chemicals that clean (or don't clean) the vehicle.

carwashlifer

Reaction score
yea thanks for repeating my question!!

of course its the x factor which why I posed the question in the first place. What I am looking for is advice from operators who put out a great car with an inverted L or touchless auto. Lets face it most touchless autos put out a lousy wash (and most are also in gas stations and uncared for). But I am asking for advice from the seasoned operators who know how to make the most of their autos. I want to make money but I want to give my customer a clean car.

Wally

Reaction score
For starters you need to reveal what part of the country you are in. There are a lot of good cleaning products out there and a whole lot of opinions here on the forum. One thing I might add is I like my presoak heated.

mattman

Reaction score
High pH/Low pH is an excellent choice for friction but in my experience with touchless cleaning Low pH/High pH works the best. Especially if the eybrow on the glass is a problem.

lag

Reaction score
this oughta be interesting.
I could not agree more with you ,Mad ,this will be one of those threads that will die fast ,or will go on and on. The x factor is the chemicals ,but the y,and z factors are the ones that will help you achive the cleaning you are after

1. Be prepared to change with the cleaning conditions. We at times put the low ph on first ,sometimes we go high ph first. sometimes we put more chemical on sometimes less will do. Sometimes we only use high ph . I think you get the picture.

2. Be diligent. titrate, or check your ph levels ,of your chemicals,daily. PH can change ,but will "look" ok going on the car. I have added ball valves to all our soap lines ,at the pump station ,and all bays are titrated daily.

3. Water quility. good,steady supply of soft water throughout the day.

4. Water PH. Alot of people overlook this one. If your water ph is too high ,or low, you may need to adjust your chemicals to compensate, or worst case ,you may need to treat the water yourself. I think I could write a book on this issue.

5. Be willing to change chemical suppliers if you do not like your results. Good reps will visit your locations regularly and listen to your concerns. Bad reps will visit your location ,act like they care about your concerns,sell you chemical ,and blame the fact your not cleaning on your equipment, or your water , or anything else they can think of.

6. Touchless autos are not perfect ,you will have times when cleaning is just plain hard, you may need to "help" cars clean during these times by offering a towel dry ,or a towel dry station,and be willing to rewash if you need to.

7. use a good quility drying agent ,on the pass before spot free to help the dryer. ( this subject could be it's own thread).

I am sure there alot of things i have over looked. I will only admit this once ,Brushes do a better job on road film, but in our market people like the fact that we are not BEATING their cars clean( ok brush people weigh in here):p

Bob Koo

Reaction score
I got to agree with all of the comments posted. I use low/high but run my inverted L's (dual Vectors) very slow compared to most. My top package is a little over six minutes once the customer is on the treadle and without Drying the vehicle. Chemistry is critical but alot of High Pressure water operating slowly will do wonders.

I've got the luxury of operating a twin site, eventhough, the volumes may only justify 1.5 Bays.

carwashlifer

Reaction score
ultimate inbay quality

all low pressure passes are hot water, all high pressure passes are cold water. All water is fresh soft and ro is also used. I realize it is hard to wash a car without cloth. So the standards are lower, but the carwash mavens on this board should have the knowledge to get it clean, shiny, and dry. Also I am in the midatlantic, dc va md.

many thanks

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
IMO in most areas concerns about streaking old paint is a non-issue. Clear coat paint is very tough and has been common for 15 yrs+ now. The touchless environment is "wetter" than many tunnels. As a result it may be safer to use chemistry a bit stronger.

Etowah

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Lag is correct in all of his comments (except about brushes beating cars), touchless car washing requires constant attention and that is the "trick" to making your touchless clean.
What cleaning problems are you having now and what product are you using?
Ryko uses a different technology (high impact, not high pressure) than most other companies including wash world, so what works with ours may be a little different.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents.

A good Touchless wash needs 3 things...A good machine, Good Chems and properly setup.

You've got the machines and many here will tell you who they think the best chem providers are...I have my opinion.

New machines are almost infinitely adjustable, but there is a universal point. Washing a car to high standards requires time. Time for the soaps to work (dwell), time to rinse completely, time for complete coverage of other options. I have tweaked my washes (and continue to), but I just can't seem to get a quick wash (under 5mins) to clean properly. Personally I would prefer to wait for a good job than get the quick in/out and not be happy with the wash I've received.

I have created a 'special' wash that I use to wash my toy...it's almost 8 minutes long!

Big Leo

Big Leo

carwashlifer

Reaction score
inbay auto help?

Come on guys! this is a a board of expert carwash guys, who have the interest obviously to become even more knowledgeable about their field. And there is not one nugget of useful information in any response. Are you guys running for president or what, the answers are full of platitudes and cliches. I know how to wash a car I have washed over 5 million of them in my life as an owner operator. I however am not an expert in autos, but I needed to add them because the value of the land in my market is no longer justifying running ss bays. I am using 130 degree water on all low pressure passes, I am using a powder high ph presoak(with a booster) for first pass and a liquid low ph (muriatic acid) on the second. We use triple foam(all low ph) and rain x on our top wash for 10 bucks and it takes 6 minutes. Just wondered if anybody out there has a tip for getting the best automatic wash, so the customer gets some value. I have four tunnels and our cars are stunning, completely dry and shiny and clean, the standards we have set are so high that I am disappointed in the level of clean in the automatics and I just want to do the best we can. Last year we washed 500k cars in our four tunnels, and they come out perfect without labor. I actually advise the men to not put a towell to the car, except for the small areas that aren't bone dry. Just wondering if there is some knowledge out there about achieving a great car in an automatic.

bigleo48

Reaction score
carwashlifer

Car washing in a Touchless is chemistry. Talk to you chem provider, he should be more than familiar of what works in your area, how much product to use, how to evenly apply it and at what temperature.

Also, a Forum is about exchange of information. You have never provided info that I can see, yet you demand help. I have been a Telecom Engineer for 25 years and I know a thing or two, but not everything. However after 25 years I know who to ask what. I would expect that after you long success in the tunnel business and being a car wash lifer you would know who to ask in you vast repertoire of friends and contacts...or have you burned those bridges too?

BigLeo

carwashlifer

Reaction score
yea great more non information!!!

Of course I have multiple contacts, distributors, and industry sources. So what! My goal in being on a web site with my peers is to learn the last 1%, of the insite that only a long career in "carwashing" not telecom!!! can provide. Often times in your local market people are a little to competitive to
tell you what they really know, and I don't blame them. The supposed beauty of an online community of industry experts is a an exchange of knowledge in a mutually beneficial way. the kind of exchange that does not normally happen when your competition is down the street, or opening a location that will cut your gross in half and kill you both.

Think about it. What is the point of the forum if not to exchange and advance knowledge, in a relatively non threatening way among people who really understand the business. Look at the responses and tell me one useful piece of knowledge that you and I have gained!!!

carwashlifer

Reaction score
Of course I have multiple contacts, distributors, and industry sources. So what! My goal in being on a web site with my peers is to learn the last 1%, of the insite that only a long career in "carwashing" not telecom!!! can provide. Often times in your local market people are a little to competitive to
tell you what they really know, and I don't blame them. The supposed beauty of an online community of industry experts is a an exchange of knowledge in a mutually beneficial way. the kind of exchange that does not normally happen when your competition is down the street, or opening a location that will cut your gross in half and kill you both.

Think about it. What is the point of the forum if not to exchange and advance knowledge, in a relatively non threatening way among people who really understand the business. Look at the responses and tell me one useful piece of knowledge that you and I have gained!!!
Also I have previously been a lurker, and have not needed info. Now I am a newbie so to speak, and finally need some info. Is that a crime? No on the contrary it makes perfect sense, I have been in the business since long before these boards ever existed, so when I finally do something new that I am not familiar with I reach out to the community for advice and help. Of course I have gotten advice from my distributor etal, but I have high standards and he does not make his money washing car, he makes his money selling equipment. My goal is to be the best that I can be, for myself and my customers. The older I get the more I realize the less I know. I don't really understand your point.

carwashlifer

Reaction score
And also I am fascinated about your comment "have you burned those bridges too" what the hell are you talking about? I have not burned any bridges and I am just reaching beyond my distributor, soap supplier, friends, etc. to expand my knowledge and expertise. What made you imply that? Or is it just a nonsensical knee jerk reaction to a post that you did not read carefully unough. If you look back at my posts I hope you will realize that nothing I said did not make sense. And by the way we are already putting out a nice car, I just want to make sure it is the best we can do. Does that seem like an unlogical request??

Curious to hear your reply and your explanation of your previous comment.

carwashlifer

Reaction score
And I am not demanding Help!! I am asking for advice from maybe the most skilled carwasher's in the world. If you have the interest to post on this board and you are an industry expert, and your mind is curious enough to learn more, then this is the place for you. What is wrong with wanting to do the best job you are capable of for your customers and yourself. My goal is to learn all I can, from whatever source I can.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Your statement "And there is not one nugget of useful information in any response" is very disrespectful to everyone who took the time to answer your question. I thought Lag provided some great places for you to start your quest for the "best auto car wash." Leo also gave good info, its all about the chemicals (and dwell time). What are you looking for? What is you wash quality lacking right now? There are no simple answers or tricks to making a touchless work. It requires testing, more testing and consistant monitoring. How are you calibrating your chemicals now (titration or PH)? How long is your dwell time?

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
wow...

If your distrib happens to carry Paxil I think you should ask for a sample....you need to ease up a bit....makes me not want to help you at all