What's new

Southern Pride Turbo - worth resurrecting?

TomT

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm a newbie here. I sell and service pressure washers and have now took on maintenance/repair of a small town 4 Self - Serve / 1 IBA car wash that hasn't had the required love for some time. All Southern Pride equipment including a Turbo Wash automatic - circa 1995? - serial number begins with 95 so I'm assuming it was made in 1995.
I've got the self-serves refurbished, now onto the Automatic - maybe.
The automatic is all there but hasn't ran in a while - tower hoses disconnected, etc, etc
A loaded question but I'm gonna ask anyway - Is it worth resurrecting?

Thanks,
Tom

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Tom welcome to the form! I would say a firm No I had a 1996 Turbo myself removed it and instailed a Laser 4000. Those machines can not measure the big long vehicles and just go around the circle track and do not stop when they hit a car. I highly suggest getting a washworld or PDQ. Also southern pride is not in business anymore for Parts. Don't kill yourself reopening it I did it to mine and regret the time I wasted just get a newer machine if wash is in a good location

TomT

Reaction score
Thanks much! - the only reply I needed. You confirmed my suspicions.
Great location, actually. Judging by the other IBA down the street, the owner needs to have one. They're saying $200K for a new one. Is that so?

MEP001

Reaction score
The cost of machines can vary a huge amount. You can change the cost of a brush rollover by $75,000 by adding high pressure undercarriage and wheel cleaner. You should start with what your market is looking for and shop from there. You can even get used or refurbished machines for 10-20% of a new one.

cooll903

Reaction score

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Hydrospray’s website states they have Turbo Wash stuff.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Thanks much! - the only reply I needed. You confirmed my suspicions.
Great location, actually. Judging by the other IBA down the street, the owner needs to have one. They're saying $200K for a new one. Is that so?
it depends on cost the Turbo could fit into a small short narrow bay (which washed smaller vehicles back then in every aspect) newer machines are way longer and wider building modifications can eat up cost. A freestanding frame may be a good choice also with new machine for current bay. get a washworld for $130-150k depending on options for touchfree. friction cost way more.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Tom, it depends on your market, your funds and you. We have seven car washes and four of those are still running Southern Pride Turbos. The last two we installed in 2007 when we built our last wash. If you are handy and think outside the box, you can get a pretty clean car and an average ticket north of $12. Good luck!

bert79

Reaction score
In March 2018 my Dad and I began the renovation process on a wash that had sat unused for about 7 years. We opened for business in november 2018. During the renovation we removed the old hydrospray/southern pride oval track and machine and installed a used laser 4000. It was one of the best decisions that we could have made. Customers tell us all the time how much more they like the laser 4000. Now we are saving to buy a new machine. In my opinion you'll get a cleaner car and fewer problems with a different machine. If you have the money, buy new from a distributor that can give you good service.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I just ripped out a 16 yr old Ryko OHD (Touchless). Served it's purpose. We are now installing a Razor XR7 w/ 3xFoam & xtra lp wax option & LuminArch, for $89k INSTALLED! Disclaimer: i brought my own stand blowdryers & GoldLine payststion.
Not quite as many bells & whistles as upgraded Razor (mainly no Lava Wax) but this thing is looking awesome & all Stainless! Very fast machine, but still a thorough clean.
Ryko also has a Radius & SoftGloss sale, for 3 price points, & all include uninstall & install !

Last edited: