What's new

ss pump oil

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I need to change the oil in my ss pumps. I seem to remember somebody, maybe Pat, saying he just used 10w-30. Is it ok to use that? What do I need to use?
Thx

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I just use the HD-30, it does just fine. The crankcases are so reliable that you could probably put used cooking oil in there and they would live.

Before some of the "Cat oil only" guys get their panties in a wad, I DO NOT reccommend putting cooking oil in the pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use a 3:1 mix of non-detergent 30WT and transmission fluid in my General pumps. The transmission fluid will absorb some water if it gets into the crankcase. I started using it on pumps I rebuilt when they had water in the crankcase, with the recommendation that the oil be changed again a week after it was put back in service, and I would often see the oil left in them for years afterward with no failures. I've used the same mix in Cats too - it helps keep the ND-30 from foaming.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
How often should I change the oil in my pumps? Is it every 500 hours or so? You can get this type of oil from an auto parts store right? When should you do the hi/lo pressure seals? I have eight bays, so I need to get on a routine of doing this type of maintanence so that I am not just waiting until things break.

Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
Most pump manufacturers say 500 hours or 6 months for oil change. Some here will tell you "don't bother," but it's cheap, easy preventive maintenance. It's getting harder to find ND-30 at auto parts stores since there are almost no cars on the road that use it, but convenience stores usually still have it.

The thing with replacing seals is that it should be done before there's a problem, but that's difficult to determine. I've tried to keep a close "eye" on the pumps and rebuild them immediately if there's the slightest pulsation, but I've still had to replace five of the six original pump manifolds due to erosion. I've worked out that for me replacing all seals and o-rings every 750 hours is a good mark - I do the valve o-rings once between that point as well.