What's new

Standard Response for Bugs

Etowah

hkim310

Reaction score
What is your standard response to people who still have bugs / bird poop on front end / windshield of cars after coming out of car wash? I typically tell them we can run their vehicle back through the car wash for free but I do not know if all of the bugs / bird droppings will be removed as they typically require someone to scrub them to be fully removed. Some customers or ok with that, others seem to just get angry. Trying to see if we doing the right thing/saying the right things to customers.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Do you charge for bug prep?
If so and the customer did not buy the bug prep explain to them that the reason you charge for it is that it takes extra chemicals designed for just bug prepping and additional prep time to get the bugs off.
Tell them that you will re-wash the vehicle for only the extra charge amount and not for the wash and you will bug prep the car properly.
If they still do not want to pay for only the difference, I would tell them that since I educated them about the wash differences this time and that they understand the differences I will go ahead and rewash the vehicle one more time but without the extra bug prep.
But if they did pay for the difference you would rewash it with the bug prep and clean the car.
Ultimately a clean car is why they came in for a wash.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have always thought bug prep is a slippery slope. Generally people don't look at bugs as more than more dirt on their vehicle and expect when they buy a wash they should be removed like any other soil unless they are told otherwise. I think in order to avoid long discussions with customers over whether bugs come off in the wash it is best to offer either a bug package or clearly state that bug removal is an extra charge much like dressing the tires or sealants/polish wax.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Similar. Will re wash immediately for no charge. I explain that certain issues, Cooked on Bugs, Bird Poop, Tree Sap, Eggs, road tar require extra time and harsher solutions not suited for the automatic wash environment. These special solutions are available in my vending machine and they are welcome to purchase and apply them.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
we have a self serve set up at the entrance to the IBA; 55 gal barrel with a brush in some soapy water. customers use it; no problem. no complaints.

splashngocornwall

Reaction score
@Waxman

I've wanted to start something similar to your setup but doesn't that take away from your vending sales / self serve sales? I'm also worried about people using it for excessive mud which I don't want. Barrel can get pretty dirty/disgusting pretty quick, no?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
instead of looking at what it may take away from i see it as adding to iba value and loyalty. my top wash is $12, so generating loyalty and volume for the iba is in my best interest. SS makes less % of net income and vending even less, so why focus on what may or may not be lost there instead of what is certain; building volume and loyalty thru increased value and customer satisfaction in the IBA?

it's easy for us because we are fully staffed and changing the scummy barrel water out is no big hot dog.

hkim310

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. We offer bug prep for free with the washes currently. Unfortunately, I tend to agree with Earl in the fact that even when bug prep is applied, bugs that are plastered to the front end/windshields of cars do not come off going through an automatic car wash. Either a harsher chemical needs to be used or someone has to manually remove them by hand with a towel. I always tell the customer we would be more than happy to rewash their vehicles but it may not remove all of the bugs on their vehicle. This is when some customers just have the wrong expectations of what an automatic car wash can and cannot do.

twerkinatthecarwash

Reaction score
We do a free bug-prep spray on all cars that come through. If they are truly "covered" (and not just what people think means "covered") we will take our prepgun to it as well. If we can tell that a customer is going to be picky about every little bug (as in, they ask for extra spray, etc) I have my loaders trained to hit the front with the prep gun.

Now as for the complainers.

On my higher end washes ($10-$15) I will take a look and gauge their mood. If they aren't being jerks I explain to them the difference between an Express Tunnel Wash like ours and a full-service or detail wash and what happens with bugs and why our wash didn't get them. These people I will normally offer to send through again, about 50% take me up on it, the other 50% understand once I explain to them it probably wont take any more off.

If they are being jerks I still explain to them the differences and why the bugs didn't come off, but not rewash. Especially because most of the "jerks" will complain about only one or two bugs, and I'm not rewashing for that.

Customers really don't want to hear about "clear coat" or "express wash" though, they just want what they think is a fair wash. Best we can do is explain why they still have bugs, best way to remedy it, and hope they understand.

Now for bird poop, that's a different story. If there is a lot of it I will gladly rewash. One or two little spots on the hood/door/windows, that gets a quick spray of windex and a dry paper towel. I wipe it for them, and apologize for not getting it all off while also explaining why two week old bird poop didn't come off very easy, and 99% of the time they're gone in minutes and it costs us next to nothing.

JustClean

Reaction score
I usually tell them that this is just a machine: if you can't rub it off with your finger it belongs to the car - like your stickers, etc. Anyway, if they want it 100% there is nothing better than a hand wash in our self serve bay. There is also a big sign saying: For very muddy cars consider a pre-clean in the self serve bay first. Usually that works.

madstack

Reaction score
Buggy cars are offered our #1 wash ($20) as the best cleaning option with the promise of a free rewash for any reason. Bug remover is then applied. This is done for any stains or overall dinge. Any others that come back are offered the #1 but for the price difference between that and what they paid originally. Same free rewash promise. People who can't get on board with that are sent away.

Reaction score
I have an 8 bay with an mini tunnel and razor touch free. Reluctant to put out barrel in front of the two because I thought several of the self service customers would use for free. After 4 months use so far, no one from the self serve side is using and we have severely cut down on the bug problems in both the tunnel and touch free wash.