What's new

That part has been replaced by this one that doesn't fit...what now???

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have 16 D&S 3 motor oval vacs. They have a unique motor hold down that holds all three motors with a common part. I have used the Ametek GS motors in them for years. The last time I ordered them from Kleen-Rite they told me that they had been replaced by the VMK-19 which they shipped. I needed to use one yesterday only to discover that the lower part of the motor is about 1/4" taller rendering the motors useless to me. I know KR will take them back, but where do I find motors that will fit? I checked the Ametek site and it looks as if the GS motor is indeed obsolete. Anyone know of other vac motor brands that may work?

MEP001

Reaction score
The basic Lamb motors should fit, unfortunately they're more expensive.

Those replacement motors for the GS look like the same ones JE Adams used in their vacs for a while, and if they are they're junk. As soon as I found out the GS were discontinued I switched to the Domel from Windtrax, and I'm glad I did. They're a little more, but they have more lift than the GS and more CFM than the basic Lamb, and they're quieter than the quiet Lamb. They are also taller than the GS by about 1/4".

You could always change all three motors at once and shuffle around the GS until they're all gone. It's what I've already started doing with the GS and the remaining original Lambs. I don't like mismatched motors in a vac so I always pair them the same anyway.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
They sell rubber gaskets that go between the motor and vac. They are 1/8" to 1/4' thick. How about throwing one or two of those between the shorter motor and vac to make them taller?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I guess I need to post a pic. On most of the vacs there is a plate with a welded on hinge down one side and two bolts securing the other side. The motor needing replacement is the closest one to the hinge. Replacing that motor with the taller one jacks up the other side a couple inches or so. The new motors just plain won't work, even if I replace all three at once. I'll try to snap a pic when I get a chance.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I would just send that crap back and start with the right motor. Why bother fooling around with something that is discontinued anyway?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Sounds like you are going to have to re-engineer the mounting bracket. Maybe grind off the weld and raise it 1/4" and re-weld or bolt it on. A picture would help all of us re-engineers come up with a solution.

Randy

Reaction score
I use the Lamb Kleen-Rite #VAL6336 vac motor, takrs brush #VA30034. The base on the Lamb is the same as the base on the GS vac motor. I've had good results with the Lamb motors, there 7 years old and I've only changed the brushes a couple of times. I used to usethe GS vac motors butthe last batch of vac's I bought came with Lamb motors. I found a bag of GS brushes in the attic this morning if anyone is interested in them, I have no use for them.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would just send that crap back and start with the right motor. Why bother fooling around with something that is discontinued anyway?
I wish I could start with the right motor, but what is the right motor???

I know that I may have to re-engineer, but finding motors that will fit is by far the best option. I'm smart enough to get them mounted, but then I would have to change all three motors whenever just one of the old ones goes bad. What's worse is that after I figure it out I have 15 more to do. That's a total of 48 freaking motors to re-work:mad:!

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
I wish I could start with the right motor, but what is the right motor???
As Randy and I have both said, the basic Lamb motors are the same size as the GS. They should work perfectly.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
As Randy and I have both said, the basic Lamb motors are the same size as the GS. They should work perfectly.
I guess I am confused. My K/R catalog listed them as a GS and the motor itself has an Ametek sticker. When I googled Ametek I come up with Ametek Lamb motors so I assumed the GS, Ametek, and Lamb were one in the same:confused:. Oh well, I guess I will order one of the part # Randy gave me and compare it to the GS motors I have.

Etowah