What's new

Thoughts on upgrading my 5 column little trees vendor

Big Chris

Reaction score
Looking for some input from other owner/operators based on their experience. What would you do?

My 5 column Laurel mechanical vendor is basically end of life. I've replaced the coin mech, but the actual drop shelf magazines are worn to the point where the the bottom 1/3 or so of the shelves I don't bother loading b/c they dont drop reliably. I've got stripped screws inside that hold the coin mech. The list goes on. The cabinet is in great shape, the decal on the front is less than 1 yr old, but everything else is pretty clapped out.

So I could buy 5 magazines and a complete base assy and do a total rebuild for about $1033.44
I could buy a new mechanical quarters only model for $1910.00
I could buy a DigiMax quarters only for 2710.87 (this is the option I'm considering)
Or I go Full-Monte and buy a DigiMax with Cryptopay for 3280.00

I currently don't use CryptoPay on my site for credit card processing ( I use Hamilton & Exact) so this would be an add on. Not sure if it's worth adding Cryptopay if it's for just vending.

Wondering what some of the other folks out there had opinion wise.
I currently sell "little trees" for $1.00. I sell about 60/wk. I would certainly consider raising prices after this investment whichever way I end up going.
I'm currently paying $.62 for my little trees from KR.

So if I do the Digimax with Cryptopay
So it's going to take 3 yrs to ROI the machine at a $1 sell price.
Or 1yr and 7 months if I raise my price to $1.25ea.

Thoughts?

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
If you have 0 interest in crypto pay get a new one vel599max-ma from kr. Call in to order it. They will five you 1728 free little trees. That offer expires 9-1-24. Puts your cost of the machine to around 1k

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
If you have 0 interest in crypto pay get a new one vel599max-ma from kr. Call in to order it. They will give you 1728 free little trees. That offer expires 9-1-24. Puts your cost of the machine to around 1k

slash007

Reaction score
Looking for some input from other owner/operators based on their experience. What would you do?

My 5 column Laurel mechanical vendor is basically end of life. I've replaced the coin mech, but the actual drop shelf magazines are worn to the point where the the bottom 1/3 or so of the shelves I don't bother loading b/c they dont drop reliably. I've got stripped screws inside that hold the coin mech. The list goes on. The cabinet is in great shape, the decal on the front is less than 1 yr old, but everything else is pretty clapped out.

So I could buy 5 magazines and a complete base assy and do a total rebuild for about $1033.44
I could buy a DigiMax quarters only for 2710.87 (this is the option I'm considering)

I currently don't use CryptoPay on my site for credit card processing ( I use Hamilton & Exact) so this would be an add on. Not sure if it's worth adding Cryptopay if it's for just vending.

I currently sell "little trees" for $1.00. I sell about 60/wk. I would certainly consider raising prices after this investment whichever way I end up going.

Thoughts?
If looking around 3k, I would start looking for a used stand alone vendor where you can vend 40 items instead of 5 little trees.

Etowah

Randy

Reaction score
My 5 column tree vendor is around 30 years old and works like it was new. You don’t want to use any oil or grease to lubricate any of the components inside. The columns are rebuild-able, you can send them to Laurel metals, but the shipping can be prohibitive. There is a rod that runs under the column mechanism that makes the shelf's drop. That rod will wear over time and once it wears the shelf don’t drop very well. Here's a link to the main shaft https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-13...ain-shaft-model-30-car-freshener-vendors.aspx on the bottom of the shelf column there is a flipper that operates the column over time the flipper will get a little corroded and does drop when you pull the handle. If you pull the handle and nothing drops it’s usually that flipper didn’t drop. If your cabinet and decal are decent then I’d work on the machine. They aren’t all that hard to fix. As for the screws I replaced all of the screws on all of my drop shelf vendors with a Phillips head screw, I don’t remember what size they are. The Phillips head screws are easier to screw in when your out in the weather. A great resource is Chip at Laurel metals.

Last edited:

Big Chris

Reaction score
^Randy, thanks for this. And everyone else who chimed in, thanks.

There's one other issue that I have at my location. A large percentage of my customer base is Latino, and this group has proven to be great customers. That said, the Dominican quarter is almost the same size & weight of the US quarter, but the Laurel coin mech doesn't reject this coin, but it also doesn't accept it. The Dominican quarter wont pass through the mechanism and it jams the machine. (US quarter 24.26mm dia & 5.67grams, the Dominican quarter is 24.25mm & 5.7grams)

I believe the use of these coins is accidental, as the two coins at first glance are REALLY close especially when they have patina on them.

I think an electronic mech will solve this problem as the IDX MA 850 in my self serve doesn't have this problem. And this is the same unit used in the Laurel Digimax.

I though about putting in a larger vendor with a plexiglass door, but I am concerned about break-ins & vandalism.

Randy

Reaction score
^Randy, thanks for this. And everyone else who chimed in, thanks.

There's one other issue that I have at my location. A large percentage of my customer base is Latino, and this group has proven to be great customers. That said, the Dominican quarter is almost the same size & weight of the US quarter, but the Laurel coin mech doesn't reject this coin, but it also doesn't accept it. The Dominican quarter wont pass through the mechanism and it jams the machine. (US quarter 24.26mm dia & 5.67grams, the Dominican quarter is 24.25mm & 5.7grams)

I believe the use of these coins is accidental, as the two coins at first glance are REALLY close especially when they have patina on them.

I think an electronic mech will solve this problem as the IDX MA 850 in my self serve doesn't have this problem. And this is the same unit used in the Laurel Digimax.

I though about putting in a larger vendor with a plexiglass door, but I am concerned about break-ins & vandalism.
I'd try replacing the coin insert with a Imonex coin mech insert

Here2Wash

Reaction score
Hi Big Chris I know nothing about what the others have said about fix, yet if you use that many little trees the deal ends today, yet Car Wash Superstore is having 10% off all 72 pack Little Trees.

Also one said it above if you're going to upgrade do the deal where KR gives you close to 1,000 little trees. If they're not doing the special wait as they do it a few times a year.

The one thing I can answer is the Dominican quarter issue. I've worked hard on my branding this year and have increased my vending sales by 80%. A simple measure that can help you out in the long run, yet also gain more respect from your hispanic customers is signs in english and will be spanish that say Quarters / cuarteles only. Put these signs right near the insert holes as shown in the pic attached. If your spanish isn't great use google translate.

Attachments

edredtop

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I have a new one that's never been in service I'll consider selling you.
The red board was swapped out for an old board that works but instructs customers to " RAY '0U "
Shipping may kill this effort but I'll take some pix and come up with a price.