What's new

Token promotion + a price increase

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I?m considering a ?token promotion? of 30% if a customer breaks a $10 or a $20 bill. 13 tokens for $10; 26 for $20. No promo for a $5. The promotion would begin simultaneously along with a substantial price increase of at least 30%.

The goal is to get customers in the habit of breaking large bills to buy tokens. In the future, I?ll reduce the promo back to 20%, then 10%, then eventually zero. So it becomes a price increase via a reduced promo.

The missing piece is how to forecast how many customers will change habits and start buying tokens in $10 and $20 increments instead of a $1 or a $5. I?d think a 30% promo is a very good incentive but I have no way to forecast customer habits.

Have you done a similar token promotion before? If so, how much of an increase did you see with the use of large bills?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I give bonus tokens. 6 for a $5 bill, 12 for a $10 bill, 24 for a $20 bill. I get lots of $5 bills. Far less of $10 & $20 bills. With the fragile economy in my market not many people are willing to jam a $20 bill into a self serve carwash changer in exchange for tokens. In my situation I don't think I'd get many takers if I did not include the $5 bill in the bonus token offer.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Promotion

Thanks for the reply.

The goal *is* to convince customers to break a $10 or a $20, and I figure a large incentive will be needed to make that happen. Like you, I don't get many 10's and 20's now, and like you I get a fair number of 5's.

Has anyone sold tokens (as I do now) with no token promotion, and then switched to offer a promotion on large bills only? If anyone has, I'd be curious to learn their results.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, I doubt if many people think about "tomorrow", they are there to wash the car, they look in their wallet, know that it will take more than 1-2 dollars, so if they have a 5 in their wallet, they pull it out and buy whatever you are selling.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I.B. Washincars--

Thanks for the reply. That helps.

Just curious-- how much signage do you have that explains the token promotion. And, do you have signs only at the changer or in the bays as well?

Thanks again ...

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
IMO, I doubt if many people think about "tomorrow", they are there to wash the car, they look in their wallet, know that it will take more than 1-2 dollars, so if they have a 5 in their wallet, they pull it out and buy whatever you are selling.
Good point Bill. Never thought of it from that angle.