What's new

upstream speed

agent

Reaction score
Getting ready to install a survelance system at the wash. I was wondering if DSL with an upstream speed of 350 kmbs would be enough for remote viewing.

Also, does anyone know if while using DSL you can surf the web plus still be able to use the telephone with the same line simultaniously....Thanks in advance....

Kenny Hicks

Reaction score
Agent

The Number of cameras is the key. You're ahead of the game you understand upload is the important number. 16 cameras could easily stream on 350k.
Less cameras could stream on a slightly smaller line. General rule of thumb is to get as large of a line as you want to afford.

MEP001

Reaction score
The video is somewhat dependent of the system as well. Some will upload all video for playback, which means video may play back slower than normal for it to send you all frames. Others only upload what will "fit" given your bandwidth, in other words it will compensate for a slow internet connection by sending you fewer frames.

You should always be able to "surf the web" with another task using your connection, but it will slow it down. Normal phone will not be affected regardless of internet usage, but IP phone may cut out if it has insufficient bandwidth.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I had a 512KB upload and it worked quite well with my geovision system, probably6-8IPS if I had to guess.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Agent,

For a 16 camera systems...yes it should do ok. You will be able to 'surf' at the same time, but remember, the 'pipe' is only so big, so the more usage the slower it gets.

DSL services are set in a few different ways. First, the upstream datarate is what the circuit is capped at, however it may not achieve this data rate as DSL modems are bandwidth agile (they'll set up to the max reliable rate). But that's only part of the picture. First, most non-commercial DSL service has a SLA (service level agreement) that is set to available bit rate with no minimum guaranties. So a lot depends on the carriers network and how far they want to push things before the customers notice, complain and dump their service (AKA Churn rate). If you go to http://www.broadbandreports.com/ you can look up your carrier’s stats and determine how they compare.

Hope this helps...Big Leo

Etowah