What's new

Water Wizard boom rotary actuator issue

schnapdragron

Reaction score
Hey,
We're trying to rehab an (old as time) Water Wizard 1.0, and the boom is only tilting about 20 degrees forward and aft. The air exits the mac valve through the exhausts rather than pivoting the boom.

Rather than drop $2500 on a replacement actuator, does anyone have any tips on fixing the old one or know of a cheaper used unit or an alternative actuator we could use?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
How much pressure is being applied by the regulator for front and back tilt? Have you replaced the air valve? Have you attempted to adjust the stops on the actuator?

schnapdragron

Reaction score
Hey Greg,

I’ve replaced the regulators as they were seized. Regardless of pressure the tilt is the same it just varies the amount of air through the exhausts.

I’ll look at adjusting the stops in the morning

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The stops can seize in place so you might need some penatrant and give it a couple days.

Although those are capable of tilting 90 degrees, I probably tilt mine about 45 degrees to get the lower parts of smaller cars.

If so inclined you could probab;y buy a used water wizard 1.0 for $2500 and have tons of spare parts. Where are you located?

schnapdragron

Reaction score
It’s set to about 50psi right now. Increasing / decreasing doesn’t change anything. I’ve added some 3 in one to try and encourage some movement.

used 1.0 might not be a terrible idea. We’re just north of Memphis.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If you tilt by hand will it go further than 20 degrees?

I know a guy in the Bham area that has a water wizard graveyard. I will see if he is interested in selling a used tilt motor.

schnapdragron

Reaction score
By hand it moves fine. I’m not sure what would cause the air to exhaust rather than actuate.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If it has plenty of movement by hand the stops are not your problem. Air exhausting through the air valves sounds suspicious. Have you changed the air valve? I would also make sure it is plumbed correctly. You can find a picture in one of the tech or parts manuals. Those tilt motors are so reliable it is a rare instance to change one. I've owned nine wizards over the years and have never had to replace one.