What's new

Your carwash took off my paint

cherokee235

Reaction score
I'm sure you've heard that before. I had a guy come in yesterday and told me my pressure was too high as it took a chunk of paint off the roof of a very new Cadillac. He washed about 3 days ago. I inspected the car and it took my finger nail and lifted the area and another chunk came off. Obviously there is a flaw in the paint. He hollered, "no, no, don't do that." I told him he has a real problem, but it isn't with me. He then made the claim that perhaps my chemicals were dispensed wrong. My reply was, "I've had no other complaints before yours or after, so I don't think so." No adjustments have been made since he washed, so there is nothing in that claim. I'm running at 1000psi.

He may continue to pursue me with this, but I'm not budging. I did nothing wrong. He needs to get GM to take care of this. What would you do?

David

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would do nothing from here and just wait until he sues you, which won't happen. Worst case scenario is that you lose (and you won't) and have to pay for it. I doubt that you will hear from him again.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A "very new" . What the Heck does thast mean. What year? What mileage? Had lots of people claim it was "New" until I looked at it and saw it was a coiple of years old with 40K Miles. They then say "Well, it's new fr me".

It's a good bet there was a repaint involved. The customer may not know it. If it continues see if you can get a car fax report. Sometimes even cars on top of the car carrier hit something and are repainted before delivery without customers knowing.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Eh, some joker said my wash damaged his car. The wand did hit his car, but he had damage all the way around his car. The damage was in places such as under the bumper where no car wash parts could hit at my Laserwash 4000. He said that either I paid $2500 or he would turn it into his insurance company and they would come after me. He reported it to his insurance who paid him then called me for my insurance information. I told them that I did not have insurance. I may have said my deductible was $5000. Anyway, I explained why the damage was not mine. His adjuster even came to my wash and I showed why my wash did not do the damage. That was it. His insurance company has better things to do than to litigate $2500 in contested damages.

MEP001

Reaction score
We had a damage claim recently, and the advice I got here (Which we used and it worked out perfectly) was to have their insurance contact our insurance. Well, hers wouldn't even get involved, so she contacted ours directly. It only took the adjuster a quick look at her scratches and my disclaimer in the bay to deny the claim. She threatened to sue, but I'm sure we would've heard something by now if that was happening.