What's new

Anybody tried "Upper Hand" on their walls?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
A couple days ago I was leaving the wash for the day when a guy with a briefcase walked up and asked if I was the owner. My first thought was to just tell him I was the janitor and the boss just sits on his ass at home and comes by to pick up the money every few days. I fessed up and admitted being the owner.

Anyway, he had a cleaner that he wanted to show me that would clean my PVC wall panels. The first thing I asked was if it contained HF or ABF. He said it did not and proceeded to demonstrate the product on my wall. He also intentionally sprayed some on his hand to demonstrate that it did not contain any acid. I was impressed with what I saw. He squirted some on my wall, let it set for a few seconds, and lightly brushed (5 or 6 strokes) with a nylon or similar bristle brush and the spot below appeared. The panel is 2 1/2 years old and has never been cleaned.

Also, here is a pic of a spot on my 6 yr. old Mark VII gantry, also never cleaned. A Scotch-Brite type pad was used on the gantry (3 or 4 seconds of circular motion) and the original color quickly reappeared.

I was impressed enough with this product that I bought two 5 gallon pails.

The product is called "Upper Hand" and is sold by American Diversified Products in Lexington, Ky.

Anybody else used or heard of this stuff?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me get this straight; your bay walls haven't been cleaned in 2 years?

Man, I feel great about my carwash!!!!!! Thanks!:D

ps; I use a product called Braker from C.A.R. Products, Inc. on walls, wheels, whitewalls and engines.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I've found that most of that stuff is "simple green" and the scratchy pad is what's doing all of the work. Once, one of them came by to show me how good it was and I just happened to have the same scratchy pad laying there and I just used it with water and it did the same thing, she just walked away.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Here is what they state about the ingredients.

"The contents in UPPER HAND are manufactured under strict control from start to finish-assuring the highest quality product available. UPPER HAND does not have any acids, bleaches, or ammonias. UPPER HAND contains sodium silicate to protect glass surfaces including china and also machine parts, surfactants to remove soil, grease, and control foam, sodium metasilicate to boost and give added power, water softeners, conditioners, enzymes to speed up chemical reactions, anti-fog agent to defog glass and lifters to remove stains from carpet."

This could be the description of most concentrated cleaners on the market today. I agree with Bill that most of the work is being done with the scrubbing pad.

UPPERHANDMAN

Reaction score
In our defense, I would just like to say that if the product was allowed to sit for 5-10 min it could be wiped off or pressure washed off. (using the proper dilution) It is much more cost effective than simple green!

UPPERHANDMAN

Reaction score
In our defense, I would just like to say that if the product was allowed to sit for 5-10 min it could be wiped off or pressure washed off. (using the proper dilution) It is much more cost effective than simple green!
Also the spot to the left on the first pic was sprayed on and wiped off with only a towel. Ask him. He'll tell ya!

Attachments

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Also the spot to the left on the first pic was sprayed on and wiped off with only a towel. Ask him. He'll tell ya!
He's correct, that little stripe to the left was not brushed, just rubbed with a towel.

Yeah Waxman, my wall panels have never been cleaned. That is the area under the brush head. The rest of the wash only looks somewhat crappy. Actually, from the street it looks great...as long as you're doing 70 MPH or so:D.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
We all know that Pat H is getting a little old and sometimes senile, but we will take his word that this product is good. God help you if it isn't, you will be reading about it here.

UPPERHANDMAN

Reaction score
FYI... if you look at the pics closer you can see the build-up running off. Keep in mind he took these pics after I left. As far as my feelings are concerned; I am not that sensitive. I have done this for 10 years. I have heard worse. lol By the way... I wish I was as good as Billy Mays and had 5% of the customers! lol

jshepard

Reaction score
jshepard

Based on the MSDS displayed above this is a common product for most chem companies no matter how it is formulated. Again how much did you pay for the pails each?

jshepard

Reaction score
jshepard

If the PH is 12.5 there is no bacteria alive in it. Being in the chem business we see this all the time. IF the product is good, bad or OK; it is still a common product that is being marketed by someone as the new hot cleaner and it is not. I ask again how much is 5 gals?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
We all know that Pat H is getting a little old and sometimes senile, but we will take his word that this product is good. God help you if it isn't, you will be reading about it here.
Bill, all I know so far is what you see, Upperhandmans demo. I haven't used it yet. Hell, 6 months from now it may still be sitting where it is today. I have about 420' of 12' high wall and two gantrys to clean. I'll find plenty of excuses to not start.

It was about $100 per 5 gallons.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
Lets see if what's in the pail performs like the demo.....

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Upperhandman,
I'm 30 miles east of you on I-64. You want to bring me a sample?